Twelve

Jack ushered me over to sit by him during dinner. I reluctantly obliged because he was near a bunch of other Slytherins.
"Hi." I said.

"Hey," he replied. "How are your classes?"

I shrugged. "Hard.. I don't think I'm gonna pass my O.W.L.S."

"Oh sure you are."

"What? You're a genius Amelia!" Roslyn exclaimed.

I smiled but still wasn't convinced.
"I don't know."

Jack suddenly tensed up and I followed his gaze to Malfoy and his buddies walking in.
Malfoy had a smug look on his face and was walking in a strut that I'm sure he thought was much cooler than it really was. He sat down a couple students down from us.

Roslyn grabbed Jack's wrist gently and looked at him.
He broke his angry gaze and turned to her and smiled.

Malfoy looked at me and I tried to look away but I couldn't.
There was some kind of unspoken competition of who would look away first and Malfoy was the first to break. I smiled to myself.

That's right ferret boy, I'm not going to be affected by you.

"What are you looking at?" Jack asked.

I blinked and looked at him quickly.

"Nothing."

He was about to follow where my gaze was but Roslyn wanted to show him something on her hand.

I let out a sigh of relief and got up and sat by Neville and some other Gryffindors. They were mid-conversation about rumors about an army that Harry was involved with.

I looked at Neville who gave me a small nod.

"It's true, you should join us."

"Oh, uh I don't know about that."

"Come on, you trust Harry don't you?"

I nodded. I did trust Harry. Why would he lie about you-know-who coming back. Poor Cedric shouldn't have had to die in vain for no one to take a stance against him.

"Yes, but I don't think I'd be very valuable in an army. I can't do much."

"That's why Harry's gonna teach us, he'll teach us much more than Umbridge. You'd be great Amelia, we need as many trustworthy people as we can get."

"And Harry would trust me? Really?"

"Well why don't you go ask him silly?" He said with a chuckle.

I looked down the table where Harry and his friends sat.

"After dinner." I say and look back at Neville.

"How's Luna?" I asked with a smirk.

He blushed and shook his head.

"She's perfect."

I giggled and he turned red.

"Did I say that out loud?" He asked.

"Yes you did, and you should tell her in person."

"No way, absolutely not."

"What will it take for you to tell her?"

"I dunno, we'd have to be on the verge of dyin' or somethin.'"

I chuckled. "You're impossible Longbottom."

-

After dinner I hurry to catch up with Harry. His ginger friend nudged him to acknowledge my presence and I blushed. Ron Weasley is his name I think. I've always thought he was cute. And also awkward, but that's what made him cute.

"Oh hi Amelia." Said Harry.

I gave him a small smile.

"I didn't know you knew my name."

"Neville talks about you sometimes, actually a lot and it gets quite annoying but..."

Hermione Granger, his other closest friend, nudged him before he trailed off.

"Sorry. Can I help you?" He asks.

"Well, I overheard about you and your army and I was wondering if you would let me join?"

He glanced at both of his friends who just shrugged in return.

"You believe me?" He asked.

I nod. "I do. And if no one else is going to do anything about it then I want to help you."

He nods and smiles. "Well, brilliant! I'll tell you where we're meeting tomorrow, or in a couple days... I'm not quite sure yet."

"Ok, of course, um thank you."

Harry turned away and started walking again. His friends gave me small smiles and walked away following him.

I sighed relieved that he trusted me. Having a secret army was certainly not something that could be taken lightly or talked about at all. With Umbridge in everyones business we had to be more careful than ever.

"What are you doing talking with Potter?" A voice asked.

I turned to see Malfoy. His uniform looked more untidy than usual, his shirt was halfway tucked in and his tie was off to one side.

"Why do you care?" I asked.

"Because I know he's up to something, I just don't know what."

"Well if he was, do you really think I'd tell you?"

"So what then. Just asking the famous Harry Potter a few homework questions?"

"None of your business Draco."

Again he seemed uneasy at my use of his first name. He looked away for a split second and then came closer to me. He looked like he was about to say something rude but before he could, I opened my dumb mouth.

"How are you doing?" I asked.

His brows furrowed in confusion and so did mine. I'm not sure why I asked him that. It just felt like it needed to be asked.

"What?"

"How are you doing Draco?" I repeated a bit more confidently.

"Are you trying to be funny now?"

"It's a genuine question I promise."

He shook his head and started to walk away from me.

"Wait!" I said following him.

"What do you want?"

"I want to know how you are."

"Why? Why do you care?"

"Why shouldn't I?"

He stopped and side-eyed me.

"I'm fine."

Then he pushed past a group of students harshly and hurried into a classroom. The students murmured and complained.