black is king || eight

Start from the beginning

He was upset - furious that his father wasn't here anymore to protect anyone.

"How am I supposed to take care of all those people if I can barely take care of myself? Look at me, I'm livin' in a fucking rainforest. I ran away from all my responsibilities. How am I supposed to do it?"

"Psssst."

Divine snapped head in the direction of the sudden voice that interrupted his rambling. "Who dat? Cairo?"

No response.

Divine shook it off and brought his eyes back up to the stars.

"Pssssssst!" The voice startled him again.

"Aye, if you not gon' make yaself known, then go the fuck away." Divine stated without bothering to look this time to see who it was.

It was silent for a few moments before a coconut was thrown at the back of his head.

"Man, what the fu-" He quickly stood up and turned around only to have more coconuts being thrown at him from the bushes.

"Yo, y'all niggas better stop playin'!" He dodged the rest of the fruits and ran into the bushes to chase after who he thought were the brothers.

He ran further into the forest, finally making out a figure that was running away from him. He realized that it was neither Jabari or Cairo, but a female instead. The woman began to laugh hysterically as she continued running and soon, Divine found himself by the river.

He stopped running, trying to catch his breath while looking around for the woman who suddenly disappeared. "Who are you!" He managed to yell as he breathed heavily. "You better not be one of Cairo's hoes fuckin' with me!"

A tap on his shoulder caused him to jump and quickly turn on his heels to see who was behind him.

"Hello, Divine." The woman greeted him.

"Wh- How you know my name? Who are you?" He backed away from her, eyeing the white streaks of paint on the bridge of her nose and underneath both of her eyes. She was barefooted but her body consisted of a long brown strapless dress that stopped a little passed her knees, and two red beaded necklaces dangling from her neck.

She laughed and began to circle around him. "Oh, child. I've known you before you were even born. When you were still growing inside of Sarabi's womb. My, how you've grown." She stopped in front of him and smiled.

"My name is Femi."

Divine raised an eyebrow. Confused wasn't even the right word to explain how he was feeling at the moment. "Uh... it's nice to me you, Femi. But may I ask why you was throwin' coconuts at me and had me chasin' you like we was a couple of teenagers?"

Femi laughed and shook her head. "I am here to reintroduce you to someone."

"Who? Is it my mom? You said you know my mom. Is it her?!" Divine grew anxious as he looked around waiting for Sarabi to make her appearance. He though that since all these people from his past were suddenly coming out of nowhere, he figured there was chance his mother would also be one of them.

"No, it's not the Queen." Femi confirmed, leaving Divine briefly disappointed.

"It's your father."

Divine scrunched up his face. "Okay, now I'm really discombobulated. That man is dead, I seen it with my own two eyes."

"Ah, see that's where you're wrong. He is not dead. He's been alive this whole time, Divine." Femi placed her hand on his back and guided him closer the river.

"Look." She pointed to Divine's reflection in the water. "He's in you."

Divine looked at his reflection, seeing his father's face instead of his.

"I heard what you were saying back there, Divine. You should know that the king loves you and your mother very deeply. His life was taken from him but it wasn't your fault, and he wanted me to let you know that."

"How? You spoke to him or somethin'?" Divine asked sarcastically, and dipped his hand in the water to make the reflection of Aziz go away.

"Yes." Femi responded, causing Divine to glance at her. "How do you think I found you?"

Divine remained quiet, realizing that she was telling nothing but the truth. "You a witch?" He raised an eyebrow.

Femi snickered and shrugged. "I guess you can say that. But I am nothing to be afraid of. I'm here for good fortune." She reassured and Divine faintly smiled and nodded.

"Listen to me, my child." Femi gently cupped his face. "You must go back and remove your uncle from the power he holds. He is destroying everything. You have the heart, mind, and strength of your father. I was the one who blessed you in front of the people of Egypt 5 days after you were born. I know who and what you were meant to be." Femi lectured as Divine listened attentively.

"May the gods of the sun, love, light, and life protect you, my dear prince." Femi reiterated her exact words the day Divine was presented to the people. "You are the son of the sun. No darkness shall ever seek upon you. The blood of your mother and father - the king and queen - was swiped across your forehead because you their legacy. The prince turned king."

Everything Femi had said hit Divine like a strike of lightning. He had been hiding away all these years when he was the only person who held the true power to bring peace back to his people. It was time to stop hiding. It was time to stop being afraid and running away from the people who loved him the most. He knew what needed to be done now, and he was going to make sure no one was disappointed by it.

"Now go, my prince." Femi removed her hands from his face. "Go and be the king that you are."

Divine nodded and held on to Femi's hands, giving them a gentle squeeze. "Thank you." He said and quickly ran back into the rainforest.

"Yo!" Divine barged into Jabari's fort. "Wake up, man!" He tapped Jabari's face a few times until his eyes shot open.

"What?!" Jabari growled tiredly.

"Get up, we gotta go!"

"Go where?!" Jabari yelled but didn't receive an answer due to Divine rushing out of the fort to wake up Cairo.

"Aye, C!" Divine picked up Cairo's shoe and threw it at his face.

"Yo- man, are you fucking stupid or what?!" Cairo jumped up from his bed while rubbing the stinging sensation on his lip.

"Get dressed, we have to go somewhere. I'll explain on the way."

-