Chapter 20

Right after that whole... incident, Luke poofs back to the studio, where Alex and Reggie are sitting on the couch, chilling.

"Guys, the weirdest thing just happened." Luke says, pacing back and forth across the room like Alex did a few weeks ago.

"Okay, well, first, you need to stop pacing. You aren't on a runway." Reggie gets up from the couch, grabbing Luke's shoulders and it takes him a second to stop moving. Luke is so beyond comprehension that he didn't even realize he was pacing until Reggie stopped him.

"You're making me stressed just watching you." Alex follows Reggie's lead, standing up and walks over to the both of them.

"Brielle and I touched each other." Luke says, and Reggie freezes up, loosening his grip on his friend.

"You what?" Alex asks, knowing Reggie won't regain his ability to speak and make some kind of joke anytime soon.

"Like, she waved your hand through you, or like your hands actually stopped when they hit each other's bodies?" Reggie questions, which is probably the only time he's been serious since he confided in Luke that his parents were fighting so much he couldn't even sleep.

"I literally lifted her off of the ground." Luke says, before realizing they need to start working on the song and perfecting it before Julie gets back from school. "Right now, we need to work on 'Great' though, so how about we talk about this later?"

"No, no, no. This is huge. How did it happen?" Reggie asks, hoping for a way to do the same thing with Julie.

"We were just singing and it just... happened. She was really weird about it after, so don't talk to her about it. I don't think she really knows what's going on either." Luke forces a promise from his two bandmates before they all start to practice, just verbalizing what they're going to do.

"We add the echoes during the chorus and when Julie comes in with the melody, it's going to sound perfect." Playing a little riff on his guitar, the other two kind of just sit around, both trying to process what Luke was talking about an hour earlier. Hearing a light thud, they both look to the garage door, expecting Brielle to be there, when instead it's Willie.

"What's that all about?" Reggie asks, trying to figure out why Willie all of a sudden just keeps checking up on them and disappearing for no apparent reason. He has a good reason, but just one that the boys aren't aware of whatsoever.

"I dunno." Alex says, and Willie takes off, but not before Alex stops him to interrogate him on why he keeps running away after taking a few looks at the three of them. "What's your problem? It's like you're tracking me down just so you can keep running away." Just so Willie can keep taunting Alex with the sight of his face—causing his crush to grow ever so slightly—but taking off before they have any chance to talk.

"I wish I could explain, but I can't." Willie says, feeling like his heart is ripping in half because he actually kind of likes Alex, but knowing that he caused him and his bandmates to be tied to Caleb for the rest of time is so painful.

"That's not good enough." Alex butts in just as Willie's about to take off again, hoping this time to get a real answer. "I mean, you've been acting weird ever since Caleb's club. I thought we were having fun together." Willie feels a stab to the heart with those words, because that's all he wants, but he ruined it after taking him to Caleb's club. After Caleb decided the boys were too powerful to run free and decided to stamp them and keep them captive.

"We never should have met." Willie says, wishing the pain would end. If they had never met, Alex wouldn't be in pain, Willie rationalizes in his head.