Chapter 19

Almost a week later, Julie walks down the stairs, hearing her father singing the song that she performed last night while making sandwiches for her and Carlos for school. Reggie is singing along with Ray, since he's obsessed with the man after Ray walked through Reggie all those weeks ago.

"This is new." Julie sets down her backpack, seeing her father in a much better mood than normal.

"Yeah, I was in the mood for cooking some breakfast." Ray answers his daughter, continuing to stir the eggs in the pan.

"Ha! He thought you were talking to him." Reggie jokes, although deep down, he really wishes it was him Julie was talking to, and Julie blushes furiously, trying to ignore the guy that is causing butterflies in her stomach. "Me and your dad are pals now." Julie rolls her eyes, happy that Reggie is around. "It's a little one-sided, but it works."

"Look, after the talk we had the other night, I realized I may have cost you an opportunity with that manager. So, I was thinking—" Ray starts, and Julie cuts him off, feeling guilty for sneaking out.

"No, dad, I should have never snuck out." Julie stops him, feeling bad for lying to him.

"Let the man speak. He's been stress eating all week. I don't know where he puts it though." Reggie comments, before Ray continues talking about his idea.

"I know, but I really want to support your band, so I called in a few favors and I booked a local gig." That's awesome, Ray. Good job.

"Best dad ever!" Reggie says, before feeling a sting of emotional pain at the memory of his own parents.

"Oh my gosh, where? Did you call your buddy from Drakes?" Drakes is a local club that has music nights every Friday that are well-known for being packed with some of the top talent-seekers in the industry, along with a lot of VIPs who have a lot of influence in the music business. Drakes is like the Orpheum for the undiscovered musicians.

"Not quite." Ray starts, and Reggie and Julie are a bit confused. "I called Flynn, and she's gonna help us throw a party. Here. Tonight."

"Oh." Julie processes the information, wishing that it was a bit more extravagant than a party at their house, but grateful nonetheless. "So, you booked us a gig at our house?"

"Maybe I was a bit early on the 'Best Dad Ever' award." Reggie jokes, and Julie just rolls her eyes at him.

"Just hear me out." Ray says, launching into his idea, which is to film them professionally so they can post a nice video on YouTube.

Brielle, of course, also knows about the plan, since she's been crashing at the Molina's house since the incident at her parent's house. Her arm wasn't broken, which was good to hear because Brielle didn't really want to go to the hospital, but it had a few nasty bruises that she had to ice for a few days, nothing the boys wouldn't help with. She opened up to them a lot more when she arrived at midnight with tears in her eyes and her suitcase already in the corner of the room. The boys didn't judge her at all, and Alex even told her that she made the hardest choice anyone would ever make in their lives. Aliyah drove her directly to Julie's place, and promised to contact her once she is able to house her sister, since her one bedroom apartment isn't exactly ideal.

A couple hours later, Brielle is at school, wishing she could do anything aside from being constantly reminded of her disability, which isn't going to happen soon because dance class exists. Luckily, she's able to just walk around the track for the duration of the class and watch as the rest of her classmates partner up with the lacrosse team to do a dance duet, something she can only do in her dreams.

"So, ready for dance class?" Luke asks as soon as Brielle closes her locker.

"Don't do that." Brielle whispers, before answering his question. "And, no. I can't even do anything in that class anyways."