Wings

A/N: ehehe its 1am and I've already written 2 chapters today but I don't care :)

Dream had been walking on the warm, wet sand for ages. The sun had set hours ago and a cool ocean breeze was blowing against him, but he hardly even noticed. He was at the same place he and George had their first kiss. He had walked back and forth by it several times in the last hour, but he couldn't stop thinking.

Did George really want him? Or had they just been joking about it for so long they felt like they needed to be together? Then Dream remembered what it was like to have him there, to feel George underneath his finger tips, and was reminded that everything he felt was real. This wasn't about their jokes. 

Yes, Dream wanted him. However, that still left room for doubt with George. Did George truly feel the same way? There was no way for Dream to confirm or deny. His conversation with Wilbur had made it sound like George was trying to stop himself from doing this, but maybe everyone just assumed George and Dream were endgame. Maybe they weren't supposed to be.

Finally, Dream stopped pacing along the beach. He looked around. The beach was empty. He pulled out his phone to check the time. 1:56sm. It hadn't really occurred to him that he'd spent the whole day doing something, something but not even he knew what.

Dream looked up again, then back at his phone. He unlocked it and went to his contacts, clicked on the name, and clicked call. He pulled the phone up to his ear. The only question was if they'd answer.

The phone rang a few times before he got a very sleepy, "Hello?"

"George," Dream said, half surprised he answered.

"What?" George grumbled.

"Were you sleeping?" Dream asked.

"Uh, yeah," George said. "You should be sleeping, too. Why the heck are you calling me at this hour?"

Dream looked back at the beach waves rolling onto the shore. "You haven't talked to me since our phone call the other day," he said.

George didn't say anything at first. "Okay?" he said finally. "And?"

"We basically agreed to dating before you dumped me at the airport and now you won't even talk to me without me starting it?" Dream asked.

Again, George was quiet.

"George?"

Instead of an answer, all Dream got was sudden gagging on the other end of the phone. George was throwing up.

"George?" Dream was now concerned. "Are you okay?"

The gagging finally stopped, replaced by heavy breathing. "Ugh, that was gross," George muttered. "I need to go wash out-" more gagging cut him off.

"George?"

The gagging died off again. "Okay, going to the bathroom now," George managed.

"What the heck?" Dream asked. "Are you sick?"

"No, I'm hungover," George said, and then the sound of running water kept Dream from talking. He waited until George was done in the sink.

Hungover? George had been drinking? The water turned off.

"You were drinking?" Dream asked.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

There was shuffling on the other end of the phone. "It doesn't matter," George replied. "I just haven't drank in a while so it's taking a bit of a bigger toll, but I think I'm done throwing up now."

"It does matter, George," Dream said. "You told me you don't even like the taste of alcohol and now you're drinking so much you're throwing up?"

George sighed. "It fixes inside booboo," he said shortly.

Dream almost thought he was hearing things. "It what?" he demanded. "George, what has gotten into you?"

"I don't know," George replied hastily. "You're the one calling me at this hour. What is so important that you had to call me right now? We should both be in bed."

Everything Dream had originally planned on saying to George had now completely changed. George was drinking to make the pain go away which is why he hadn't been messaging Dream. It was so obvious that he didn't need George to tell him that.

"Are you planning on continuing to drink?" Dream asked.

"I dunno," George yawned. "Maybe not, if this throwing up thing becomes regular."

Dream scoffed. "Are you seriously trying to drink away your feelings for me?" he asked, and this time the reason George didn't say anything at first was because he really didn't know what to say.

"Well... when you put it that way," George said flatly.

"George, we were practically dating before the airport incident!" Dream exclaimed. "If you want me, all you have to do is say so! You don't have to try and wash it out and then throw it up."

"It wasn't real," George said. "I've realized that."

Dream wanted to punch George. "If it wasn't real you wouldn't be throwing up alcohol," he said bitterly, and George didn't have a good response to that. "You made the sudden decision to back out. The distance doesn't mean anything, George. It'll be short term anyway, you're planning on moving in with us anyways!"

"But I haven't yet," George said. "Who knows when that day will come, if that day comes."

"Why wouldn't it come?"

George took a moment to think about it. "I don't know," he replied at last.

Dream still wanted to punch him. "Then what is the problem?"

"I..." George's voice trailed off. "What if it's not everything we hope it will be? What if we date for a while and decide it's not it and then because of that our friendship goes away? I don't want to lose that."

"Well what if we start dating and its the best thing we ever experience?" Dream argued. "What if we realize we are meant to spend the rest of our lives together? Even if we do decide it won't work, we'll make that decision and be able to walk away as friends."

"Dream..." George's voice trailed off. "I don't know."

Dream knew what he had to do. "Okay," he said. "Call me when you do."

"Okay," George said.

Dream didn't even bother saying goodbye before he hung up the phone. He turned on his heels to head to his car. He got in and turned it on, not even buckling his seatbelt before backing out of his parking spot and heading home. He drove definitely way over the speed limit all the way home and flew into the driveway. 

After getting out of the car, he locked it behind him and made his way through the front door, closing it behind him. He strutted straight to the door of Sapnap's room, sending it flying open and scaring Sapnap awake.

"What the-" Sapnap started, but Dream marched over to Sapnap's bed and sat down next to him. "Dream?"

"I need your help," Dream said.

Sapnap looked defeated. "What time is it- DREAM IT IS 2:30 IN THE MORNING WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?" he demanded.

"Yeah, well, I just got off the phone with George-"

"You were on the phone with George - No. Where were you? You have been gone all day," Sapnap was very awake, and he was very angry about it. "You took the car and left. No texts, no phone calls, nothing. You best be grateful I have your location so I can check on you. Who do you think you are? You can't just leave and not tell me things!"

Dream smiled, trying not to start laughing as Sapnap went mother-mode on him.

"You think this is funny?" Sapnap demanded. "And after all of this you barge into my room at 2:30 in the morning and ask for my help? What is wrong with you?"

"Are you going to help me or not?" Dream asked.

Sapnap gritted his teeth. "What do you want?"

Dream grinned. "I need to book a flight."