Chapter II

JIAE

"Jiae? Are you still with us?" Jisoo snapped her fingers at me.

"Huh? What? Was I missing something?"

"Lately, you've been in a daze. Are you sure you're alright?" Kei asked me.

Truth to be told, I couldn't think straight for the past week. Yes, past week which means next is the official announcement of my engagement with Mr. Jerk Head Myungsoo and the bad thing is that I haven't told the girls about it.

"Jiae?" Mijoo pulled me out of my trance.

"Ji, the five of us have been the best of friends since birth. You know you can tell us if something's bothering you." Soul said.

I sighed. I should really tell them honestly. I can't bear to hurt them.

"I'm engaged." I breathed out.

"What?!" the four of them shrieked.

"When? How did it happen?" Kei asked.

"Actually, the news came to me last week. Next week would be the engagement party where we would announce it officially to the media and the public. And truthfully, I'm not ready at all." I told them as I hit my head on the table we were eating our lunch in the cafeteria.

"Wait, wait, and wait. You left out the most important detail." Mijoo said.

"Who's the guy you're set to be engaged?" Jisoo asked.

"Kim Myungsoo." I answered lifelessly.

"Hold on a second, Kim Myungsoo?" Baby Soul asked to which I nodded.

"THE Kim Myungsoo, the only heir to Magenta Prime Holdings?" She asked once more and I nodded again to which she gasped.

"Do you know him?" I asked her. Right now, I'm completely confused.

"Technically, yes. Well, two years ago, his parents offered an arranged marriage between the two of us but mom and dad turned down since I'm too young for that stuff and I'm not ready." Soul said.

Lucky Sujeong, I thought. My parents couldn't understand my situation. Didn't they know I'm too young to go on with that? Don't they know that we're living the 21st Century and fixed marriages are so outdated? There's only one answer to it, not.

"But why would they force you into a marriage?" Jisoo asked.

"Magenta and Tiger are planning to do a merger. I guess they couldn't think of another way besides arranged marriage. I'm so doomed." I cried.