Prologue

Basically, this is only an introduction to Sword Art Online's storyline. If you already know how it goes, you can skip to the excitement on the next chapter.

Link start!

The fantasy world which Kayaba Akihiko offered the players of Sword Art Online was beyond anyone's greatest dream.

And it should have been just for fun and games...

...but it was not.

-

"Attention, players.
Welcome to my world."

The giant GM which appeared out of the dark red sky spoke with much command.

"My name is Kayaba Akihiko, I am currently the one and only person who can control this world."

The players who had no idea of what was going on could only listen to his introduction. Most of them were hoping that the giant floating cape above them would clear off their thoughts about the system's failure in the log out menu button.

"I am sure that you've all noticed that the logout button from the main menu has been removed. However, this is by no means a mistake."

And there was silence...

"I repeat... It is not a mistake, but a feature of the true Sword Art Online. You are unable to log out of SAO, and nobody in the real world can remove the NerveGear or interrupt its operation."

A commotion of whispers and surprised gasps were already heard among the crowd.

"Should it be attempted, a powerful burst of microwave radiation emitted from a transmitter in the NerveGear will destroy your brain, thus ending your life."

A group of people has started a conversation among themselves to discuss the theory, but before anyone could create more doubts about Kayaba Akihiko's statement, he has voiced out their minds.

"Unfortunately, it is certainly possible that a player's family or friends would ignore this warning and attempt to forcibly remove the NerveGear. As proof of this, 213 players have retired from both this world and the real one.

"As you can see, news of my warning and the numerous victims are being spread worldwide. Thus, it should be safe to say that the danger of removal attempts has become minimal. I hope you will be at ease and focus on completing the game.

"But I'd like you all to keep this in mind. From this point on, all methods of revival in the game will no longer function. If your HP hits zero, your avatar will perish for eternity, and at that moment the NerveGear will destroy your brain.

"There is only one condition you must meet to be free: the completion of this game. You are all currently on the first floor, the lowest point in Aincrad. If you conquer a floor's dungeon and defeat the Floor Boss, you may continue up to the next one. Assuming you manage to defeat the final boss on the 100th floor, the game will be considered cleared."

Pointless protests stormed out from the mouths of the crowd, none of them would believe that this was happening. And mostly none of them wanted to actually doubt it after seeing the proofs.

"And lastly, I've prepared a present for all of you in your item storages. Take a look."

The item was a plain mirror, and when the players took it to see their reflection in them, their customized avatars were refreshed. All of the players's avatar have been changed into their original looks in reality. Some were shorter, some were taller, some became younger or older, some even changed back into the opposite sex. Everyone's look was as common as ever, none of them had that make-believe beauty they just faked with their first attempt to recreate their looks from the start of the game.

"And now, the preparations are complete. This concludes the tutorial for the official launch of Sword Art Online. Players, I wish you the best of luck."

And that was when hell broke loose...