CHAPTER 19- Unrestricted

Start from the beginning

"Can I ask you something, Mia?" He asked. I hesitated to say yes but I did anyway.

"Uh- sure go ahead,"

"Why did you choose this job?" I stopped chewing and snapped my head towards him. For a brief second, all of the flashbacks came flooding back. I tried to compose my reply in a concise way because but it would be too long to explain everything.

"It's a long story," was all I can say.

"Oh come on Mia. I'm sure there's a reason,"

"Let's just say that I didn't really want this path but I ended up loving what I do," I replied briefly. He finished his chicken and reached for another one.

"What do you mean?" He curiously asked. Should I tell him? Well, I'll just leave out the details so he can drop this topic already.

"I had a different major back in college. But after some important agendas and unexpected circumstances, I decided to choose architecture," He nodded, telling me to continue as he kept eating the chicken leg.

I sighed long, "It's a long process really. I was never good at drawing but they say that you'll never know unless you try. And that I did," I replied and took a bite out of my piece.

"So drawing was never really you're passion?" I shook my head. "But you're really good at it. I was amazed by the drawings you presented to me. I don't understand,"

"Neither do I," I felt hesitant to continue, but somehow his comforting presence urges me to be open, something that I have never done since I met Jaz, my best friend.

"As I said, I learned to love what I do, so it's not that hard for me to work. Plus, I love the idea of being a part of building someone a home, which was something that I never had," I instantly regret saying the last part because his curious eyes are looking for answers when his gaze fell upon me. I knew he caught that bit because he turned his body towards me, patiently waiting for me to continue. I just continued chewing down on my chicken without lifting my head.

"What was something you never had?" He curiously asked. I slowly looked up to him and met his eyes.

"Nothing. It's nothing," I just smiled at him convincingly, hoping he would buy it. I'm glad he did because he continued eating without pushing it further.

"You said you had a different major in college. Can I ask what was it?" He asked. A picture of the piano at his rehearsal displayed vividly in my head. I think it won't be a big deal to tell him, right?

"Uh- yeah. I initially majored in music performance before transferring to architecture," I replied and his eyes instantly lit up.

"I didn't expect you to be musically inclined Mia," he remarked. "I thought of you as a smarty-pants," he paused and looked directly into my eyes, "but you are so much more than that," my cheeks reddened as I look down to hide the blushing.

"What do you play? Or do you sing?" he continued to ask.

"I grew up playing the piano. And yes I do sing but just a little," his eyes widened at my revelation. Guess he didn't expect that from me.

"You sing?!" he said with a slighter higher tone. "Sorry, I was just surprised," he giggled.

"No, it's okay. It's a long time ago. I never really saw an instrument for a long time, other than the time I was at your rehearsals." I said. He just hummed but a look of amusement is still visible on his face.