Part 3

"Are you sure? Not even a small one anywhere on this planet?" says Din.

Greef shakes his head. "This is a quiet place."

"Dank farrik."

"Why are you so eager to get a job?" Greef asks.

"I just need something to take my mind off-" Din stops mid-sentence, realizing he almost let the secret slip out.

As if on cue, the door opens and Cara walks in, carrying a huge book. "Hey, guys," she says casually.

"Hey," says Din. "Did you have a successful trip to the library?"

"I did!" she replies, grinning. Din notices that she's covering the title of the book with her arm, but doesn't question it. "Well, I'm gonna go back to that diner to read this. Just let me know when you're going to the Razor Crest." She gives a wave and leaves.

When she's gone, Din turns to see that Greef is staring at him with a funny expression.

"Why're you going to the Razor Crest?" Greef asks.

"We couldn't find a place to stay, so the ship'll have to do," explains Din.

"Hmm."

"What?"

"Nothng. However, I just remembered that a little while before you arrived here on Nevarro, I received word that some bootleggers may be stopping here to drop off some 'cargo'. I was wondering if you'd be up for the job of stopping them..."

"When will they arrive?"

"Tomorrow evening."

"What about that party thing?"

Greef raises his eyebrows. "Ah, yes. It's true, Morelia Hess will be hosting a ball that night. My sources tell me that the smugglers will be undercover, attending the party."

"You want me to go to a ball? No way," says Din firmly.

"It's the only way." Greef shrugs. "However, in order to fit in, you're going to need to bring a date..."

"What?"

"Hear me out, Mando. I have a feeling that Cara would want in."

Din rolls his eyes, though he knows Greef can't see it. "I'm not gonna ask her to pretend to be my date."

"Oh, come on. You said you wanted a job to keep your mind off something," persists Greef.

Yeah, well, if Cara comes, I won't be able to keep her off my mind, Din tells himself. But all he says is, "I don't think she'll want to do it."

"Why not?"

"You know Cara. She's all about guns and fighting and stuff. What makes you think she'd agree to get all dressed up for a ball?"

"At least ask her," says Greef. "I can't let these smugglers get away."

"Fine."

He stops by the diner and tells Cara that he's heading to the Razor Crest. She says she'll be there in a minute. He arrives at the ship and sighs, looking around the dark, familiar interior. Maybe Cara would change her mind about staying- maybe she would go away with him. She could accompany him and the Child on their journeys. Maybe he could even...tell her how he feels.

Tell me to stop hoping, kid, he says to himself, glancing at the Child. Tell me it's no use.

The Child only gives a gurgle in reply. Din sighs again.

"What's wrong?" asks Cara.

"Uh, nothing," says Din, trying to cover the fact that she'd almost scared him to death.

Cara smiles. "Whatever."

"You can take the bunk," Din says awkwardly. "I'll be up there." He points up at the cockpit.

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. See you tomorrow."

"Oh, um, Cara? There was this thing Greef wanted me to ask you..."

"Yeah?" She smiles, a genuine, pretty smile that makes Din blush.

"There are some smugglers dropping off some illegal goods here tomorrow. Greef wanted to know if you and I would help take them down."

"What's the catch?" She presses her lips together.

"Huh?"

Cara chuckles. "I haven't known Greef for a very long time, but it's been long enough to know that he wouldn't be asking me by proxy unless there was something I wouldn't like about the plan. Plus, you seem all nervous and stuff. Why's that?"

Well, I'm always nervous around you, thanks for noticing, Din thinks. But all he says is, "They're dropping off the cargo at a party. Greef wants us to go there undercover."

Cara raises her eyebrows. "You mean as a couple?"

"Trust me, I don't like it either," he lies. Din isn't sure what he thinks will happen in the future between him and Cara. He knows she only thinks of him as a friend, but maybe, just maybe, that might grow into something more... Then where would they be? He knows that Cara wants to stay in one place, settle down, and that wouldn't work if there were still a few of Moff Gideon's friends who wanted to find the Child. There was no possible way things could work out.

Maybe they don't have to, he says to himself. Maybe this is just a little crush and I'll get over it soon.

Cara sighs and shrugs. "I mean, things would be pretty boring otherwise. I'll do it."

"You...will?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

Din wakes up to the sound of the Child cooing. As it turns out, the kid is about to fall down the ladder, but Din catches him just in time.

They find Cara sitting on the bunk, absorbed in that mysterious book of hers.

"Hey," says Din stiffly.

Cara looks up and a smile brightens her entire face. "Hey."

"We should probably head into town. Greef probably has some coaching to do about the mission."

They meet up with Greef in the diner. For some reason he seems more excited than solemn about the plan, and Din begins to wonder if it's really a good idea.

Somehow, Greef manages to convince Cara to get all dressed up for the occasion. The former shock trooper objects, but Greef insists that disguise is the most important part of the mission.

"Now, Mando, your turn," Greef says hesitantly.

"Don't even think about it," Din says.

"Right." Greef clears his throat and takes a sip of spotchka. "Thanks for doing this, guys. Things were doing really well here before the Moff came, and I want to keep it that way. Now, the most important thing is, don't get distracted."

Din rolls his eyes. What could possibly distract him?