Part 1

"Any more Stormtroopers?" Din asks

"I think we cleaned up the town," replies Cara. She's smiling at him, and something about it makes him want to smile back, but she won't see it, so what's the use? "I'm thinking about staying around just to be sure."

The Child looks up at her in confusion. It's a few moments before Din himself can speak. "You're staying here?" he says, trying to hide his disappointment.

"Well, why not?" Greef says. He starts going on about how Nevarro is a better place now, but Din isn't listening. He's tempted to stay as well. To give up on finding the Child's kind and settle down for a quiet life. Why not?

"...it's very respectable again," finishes Greef.

"As a bounty hunter hive?" says Din.

"Some of my favorite people are bounty hunters," says Greef fondly. He places his hand on Cara's shoulder. "And perhaps this specimen of soldier might consider joining our ranks."

Why not? Din is still thinking. Why can't I stay here?

"Yeah," says Cara. "I've got some clerical concerns regarding my chain code."

"And if you would agree to become my enforcer, clerical concerns would be the least of your worries. But you, my friend," Greef motions to Din, "You would be welcomed back to the Guild with open arms. So go off, enjoy yourself. And when you're ready to return, you will have the pick of all quarries."

Din leans down to pick up the Child, staying silent as if considering it. "I'm afraid I have more pressing matters at hand," he says. Why can't I stay here now?

Cara nods understandingly, then reaches out to touch the Child's ear. But she looks up at Din instead. "Take care of this little one."

That's why.

Not having to take care of the Child- he could do that just as well on Nevarro- but Cara. She's the reason he doesn't want to leave, and she's the reason he has to.

"Or maybe...it'll take care of you," says Greef.

Din nods, then turns and walks away, ready to go back to the Razor Crest. But he hesitates. Why not? Maybe he doesn't have to leave, maybe there's still a chance at a normal Nevarro life for him and the Child...and Cara.

Maybe they still have a chance.

He looks down at the Child in his arms. "Do you think we have a chance?" he whispers. The Child reaches back towards Cara in response. "You think we should stay?" The Child lets out a gurgle. Din sighs. "Just a little longer, then." He shoots one more look between the rocky hills where he can see the Razor Crest waiting.

Just a little longer.

He turns around and walks back up to Greef, who seems surprised but pleased, and Cara, whose smile lights up her entire face when he announces his decision.

"Good choice," is all she says, but her tone makes him sure it's worth it.

They walk back to the town, where the citizens are coming out of their houses and cheering now that Moff Gideon is gone.

"What made you change your mind?" says Cara, grinning at him.

"You know," he says, "Just need a break."

"Well, I'm glad. You can show me around this place."

"It's nothing exciting."

"I don't expect it to be," admits Cara. "But I want to settle into my new home the right way. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah. I know." Din tries not to think about how the only two places he ever thought of as home were with his parents and with other Mandalorians. Both are dead now. Cara seems to understand his thoughts because her smile fades a bit.

"Who knows?" she says. "Maybe you'll decide to stay here forever."

"Yeah, right," Din scoffs. Don't even think about it, he tells himself.

"What do you two think about getting drinks to celebrate our victory?" suggests Greef. "My treat."

"I'm in," says Cara, smirking.

"Why not," says Din.

They make their way towards the local diner. It's deserted, since all the citizens are out on the streets, but Cara goes behind the counter and grabs a couple bottles of spotchka. As soon as she sits down, Greef stands up.

"As much as I would love that right now, it's my duty to go help the townsfolk clean up this place. I'll see you two later." He practically hurries out of the diner.

"See you..." calls Cara. She turns back to Din and rolls her eyes.

Din nods. He's angry at Greef for leaving him alone with Cara, which is exactly what he should want, but for some reason he doesn't.

"So, what have you been up to since Sorgan? Besides running from Imperial warlords," she asks.

"Looking for jobs to make enough money for fuel. Taking care of the kid. I had an interesting encounter with Fennec Shand."

"Seriously?" Her eyes widen in surprise. "How come you're still in one piece then?"

"Because the idiot I supposedly 'partnered up' with let her go."

"Too bad."

"What have you been doing lately?" He has to lift up his helmet a little to take a drink, but, unlike most people, Cara doesn't stare.

"Mostly joining the fights. It pays pretty well, but honestly," she pauses, "I was glad when you and the kid showed up." She pats the Child's head.

"Hey, I, uh, never really got a chance to thank you for what you did back there. You saved my life," Din says hesitantly.

"Oh, skip the formalities. It's what friends are for," she replies. She uses her feet to push her stool back from the counter. "We should probably go give Greef a hand."

"Right." He picks up the Child follows her out of the diner to the rubble caused by Moff Gideon and his Imperial troopers."It's what friends are for," she said. He's just a friend in her eyes. And that probably won't ever change. I shouldn't have stayed, he tells himself. But it's too late now.

The sun is setting over Nevarro, casting golden rays on the short buildings. It isn't often that there are few enough clouds to even see the sun, so this is a special occasion for the residents of the planet.

"Hey," says Cara, grabbing his arm and pointing to the sunset. "I've never seen one as pretty as that."

"Me neither," Din responds, smiling to himself about the way it makes her so happy. You're such an idiot, he says to himself, but he can't stop looking at her. The passion in her gaze reminds him of when she had been refusing to leave his side when he was injured.

He'd thought his time was limited, and he wanted to spend as much of it as he could looking at the closest thing to family he'd had in a long time. Her presence was comforting, it even eased his pain, and he knew he could trust her to carry out his last wish to protect the Child.

When she told him she wouldn't leave him, he felt something he hadn't felt in years. At the time he was too confused to realize what it meant, but now...now he wondered if it was love.

~ I'M SO SORRY I POSTED LATER THAN I SAID I WOULD  also the next chapter will be from Cara's pov ~