One: Reawakening

A bright light danced behind Link's eyelids.

Open your eyes, Link.

   Link sat up, looking around at the strange room he was in. There was a pedestal beside what looked to be a door, and the room was rounded out at the edges. A contraption resembling tree roots hung from the ceiling above his head, and as he stood and faced the pedestal his ears began to ring.

   He walked up to it, and the face of the machine turned from left to right to straight up and down. A small device raised out of the pedestal, which had to be some kind of terminal. The voice spoke again, and Link looked around in confusion.

That is a Sheikah Slate. Take it. It will help guide you after your long slumber.

   Link reached out and took it, and a peculiar eye appeared. The terminal went back to flat, and the door opened. Link walked through to a room with chests in it, boxes and weathered barrels, and different-shaped terminal.

   Crouching down to open it, Link fiddled with the lock on the chest. It opened, and he stood, hopping on one foot to put on the pair of old, too-short, threadbare trousers, and a pair of boots that pinched his toes. The second chest contained a thin, worn-out shirt, that Link also put on.

Hold your Sheikah Slate up to the pedestal. That will show you the way.

Link gently tapped the screen of the tablet to the eye on the pedestal.

[Authenticating... Sheikah Slate confirmed.]

   The door opened with a rumble, and Link walked over to look out into the horizon. He shielded his face from the blinding light, wincing as the sun bore into his dim-light-accustomed eyes. The disembodied woman's voice started speaking again.

Link... You are the lightour lightthat must shine upon Hyrule once again. Now, go...

   The blinding attribute of the light vanished, and Link plodded through the door. He stepped through a small puddle, climbed a small rock, and ran out to a sunny cliff. He could see all of Hyrule! A startled noise made him turn around, along with the quick SNAP of somebody's fingers.

"Little Knight! You had us all worried!" the pale-skinned, red-uniform-wearing man called out, running up to Link and hugging him. "Don't ever do that again!"

   The man dragged him down the hill to an Old Man, who chuckled and waved. Link still didn't even know the man's name, and he thought about making that clear. Alas, the strange man's hand gripped all the fingers on Link's right hand too tight to move.

   Link had pulled the man to the side and snatched a couple mushrooms on the way. This only made the man sigh, and he dragged Link with more force after that. The Old Man shook his head, but his smile was evident on his shadowed face.

"Hello, Ghirahim. It's quite peculiar to see another person around here, isn't it?" the Old Man greeted.

"Very peculiar, sir. Nothing about it is normal." Ghirahim answered sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Link looked at the Old Man, a question in his eyes.

"Me? I'll spare you my life story." the Old Man grumbled, "I'm just an old fool who has lived here for quite some time now."

Link glanced around, implying a second question.

"This is the Great Plateau. According to legend, this place is the birthplace of the entire kingdom of Hyrule." he stood and pointed to a large cathedral. "That temple there... Long ago, it was the site of many sacred ceremonies. Ever since the decline of the kingdom one hundred years ago it has been in a state of decay, despite Ghirahim's efforts." he sat back down. "Yet another forgotten entity. A mere ghost of its former self." he cleared his throat. "I shall be here for some time. Please let me know if I may be of service."

   Ghirahim continued to pull Link down the hill, not allowing him to stop for the torch or the woodcutter's axe. Link stopped, hearing the girl's voice once more. Ghirahim seemed to hear her too, because he made a gesture for good luck.

Link... Link... Head for point marked on the map in your Sheikah Slate.

   Link pulled out the slate, and Ghirahim peered over his shoulder. They began to walk towards the glowing dot, and a Bokoblin tottered up towards them. Link froze, fear in his eyes. Ghirahim made a circular motion with his pointer finger, and the monster dropped its weapon and walked away.

   Link picked up the tree branch, and the two of them continued towards the mound of rock they appeared to be running towards. Every enemy that should have attacked them dropped their weapon and or shield after a glance from Ghirahim. They stood in the little curved hollow, and Link approached another pedestal.

[Place the Sheikah Slate in the pedestal.] it ordered, and Link obliged. [Sheikah Tower activated. Please watch for falling rocks.]

   The ground rumbled, and the Tower shot out of the ground. Others followed, and Ghirahim put his hands on Link's shoulders to steady him. The Tower beeped again.

[Distilling local information. Regional map extracted.]

Link grabbed the Sheikah Slate and turned to leave.

Remember... Try, try to remember... You have been asleep for the past one hundred years. The beast... When the beast regains its true power, this world will face its end. Malice swirled around the castle, and a glowing light echoed from the top. Now then... You must hurry, Link. Before it's too late.

   Ghirahim made the good luck gesture again, eyes blazing with determination. He had the look of somebody who tried his hardest, failed, and now had to clean up both his mess and everyone else's. The duo sat down, and Ghirahim carefully wrote in a journal he seemed to conjure from nowhere.

 The duo sat down, and Ghirahim carefully wrote in a journal he seemed to conjure from nowhere