"You're about to find out."

"What?"

It was about that time a rather jovial voice rang out from a distance. "Is that my sweet pea?" Charlie's eyes met yours and then he was turning around just in time to see your parents quickly approaching.

"Dad!"

"There's our girl!" said another voice joining in. You and Charlie hurried over to meet them, reaching them halfway before you were caught up in your parents' respective embraces.

"It's good to see you!" said your dad, giving you a good squeeze. "We're happy you could make dinner happen."

Your mom enveloped you next; Charlie was all too happy just to be standing by taking everything in. As she pulled back, her gaze immediately went to the man beside you.

"And you must be Charlie!" she exclaimed warmly. "I'm Abby! It's so nice to meet you!" Charlie extended his hand for her to shake as he greeted her and was disarmed when your mom practically charged at him with open arms. "Oh no, no...We hug in this family."

You knew he'd hoped for a warm reception, but the surprise on his face informed you he hadn't counted on being hugged. You were pleased to see the stress slowly leaving Charlie's body as he began to relax. The proverbial band-aid had been ripped off. However, judging by the look on your father's countenance, you could tell he wouldn't be so easily convinced that this new boyfriend of yours was the right man for you. Up until now, you'd always known your father to be a big softie so rather than give it a second thought, you chalked up the "Papa Bear" bit to being protective of his little girl.

Abby still had an arm around Charlie as she continued introductions. "This is my husband, Tom." Charlie extended his hand a second time and your father shook it firmly. "It's great to finally meet you, Charlie," he said. "We've heard a lot about you."

Charlie genuinely smiled, shaking his hand. "It's wonderful to meet you too, sir. And good things, I hope." Abby smirked, tittering all the while.

"Oh don't you worry about that. She only talks about the ones she likes."

"Mom."

Tom chuckled. "You can relax. I made sure she left the baby pictures at home."

"Don't be so sure. I might have snuck a couple in my purse," she teased.

"Abigail, give the poor guy a chance to eat dinner before he thinks about running."

By now, Charlie was sporting the toothy little grin you loved so much. He gestured to the door, moving to open. "Shall we go inside?"

"I think so," said Abby. Charlie pulled the large door open, stepping to the side to let everyone enter before him. Your mother linked arms with yours, walking inside with you, muttering quietly.

"You are glowing like crazy! Have you started using a new moisturizer or do we have Charlie to thank for that?"

"Mom, oh my god..."

"What? You did well. He's very handsome!"

----

Tom ordered a bottle of wine for the table, briefly consulting with Charlie to see if he had a preference. Conversation for the most part, for the start of dinner anyway, was light. As respective appetizers were placed, Charlie miraculously convinced everyone at the table to try the escargot--even your dad, a man who rarely strayed from the items of comfort which he held near and dear to his heart.

As he was tucking into his steak tartare, your dad decided that was the best time to begin his line of questioning with the man after your heart.

"So Charlie, you're a director?"