4. An Eventful Night (Rewrite 2.0)

Start from the beginning

But before they could rest for even a second, the sound of an opening door soon began to fill the library, and someone was walking in. Subaru opened his baggy eyes and began to look towards the source. A man that he was all too familiar with, even though he only knew him for a few days, has entered the library. Carrying his cane alongside a warm mug of coffee, the headmaster of the academy, Ozpin, entered their vicinity alongside another man he did not know.

This one is dressed in a white, and what seems to be a militaristic style suit. He looks like he is in his early 40s, much like Ozpin, though the headmaster himself looks pretty young for his age. If he were to guess, the new one would be a general of sorts, an officer at least. He possessed an aura of authority surrounding him, and one would be foolish to disobey his commands.

Subaru jokingly speculated inside his mind, the thought of Ozpin wanting to arrest him by bringing a general here is a thought that would bring out a few chuckles out of him, but he was too tired to do so. So instead, he waited and saw what they had at their disposal.

Ozpin sat down at the chair in front of the nasty-eyed boy, taking a sip of his coffee along the way, "Good evening Mr. Natsuki, may I ask a question for a moment before we go into the topic at hand?"

Subaru looked at him and only nodded, he was too tired to answer.

"Good! May I ask why are you and Beatrice in this library this late in the evening?"

Subaru sighed, that would be an obvious question coming from anyone, not just him. "Researching stuff, this history book is utterly confusing when its main job is to summarize everything into one simple book to read."

Subaru brought up the book at the table onto his hand, so Ozpin could see. The man nodded and smiled. "Alright then, I will allow you to borrow that one, even though you don't have a library card registered yet. I do agree some of them can be confusing indeed."

"Thanks. But could you please go back to this 'topic at hand'? Also who's that guy?"

Ozpin laughed a little, with the man beside him looking a little irritated at how impolite Subaru was being. He sure wanted to scold him, but after seeing the drill-haired child sleeping on his lap, he managed to hold back his anger, for now.

Ozpin looked at the man beside him and then back, focusing on the nasty eyes boy in front of him. He then continued, "Why of course, I want to introduce you to this lovely man beside me here, James Ironwood, general of the Atlesian Military and headmaster of Atlas Academy."

The man only held a firm nod unto him, Subaru was right, he was a general. But he was surprised at the fact that he was also a headmaster too. The man must be busy with two important jobs like that, with how important academies like Beacon and the Atlas one were as well. He shouldn't anger him if he were to talk to him privately.

Subaru gave a small nod, forcing a smile, "Nice to meet you, General Ironwood, sir. Natsuki Subaru, a new student brought in by Oz-chi here. And this little one is Beatrice, I act as her guardian."

He gestured towards his loli spirit, who in her sleep, began to adjust herself a little to the side so she could snuggle further into his chest. He brought out a genuine smile as he stared at her cute position she is using right now.

Ironwood slightly nodded before fixing his stance, "I see. Pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Natsuki. I can see that you are experienced in battle as well? Or I assume, you've encountered several near death instances?"

Subaru widened his tired eyes, how did he know that? Perhaps he was like Wilhelm who can read people well? In a frantic panic, he attempted to reason, but was cut off by Ironwood who let out a small laugh.