Chapter 4- It's Show Time

Start from the beginning

“Goodnight, Little Rock!” I said as I picked up Kelly and walked off the stage.

“Great show tonight, Luke!” Toby, one of the road crew guys, told me, “But I think Kelly stole the show.”

“I have to agree,” I said as I turned to Kerri, “Where’s Momma?”

“She went back to the bus a little bit ago. She said that she needed to get everything set up for you and Kelly so she can leave in the morning,” Kerri informed me.

“I guess that’s where I’m heading. I could use a beer anyway,” I told her as I started walking towards the bus with Kelly still on my hip.

It was chilly outside and I had picked up the blanket Momma had brought with Kelly before I walked out the door. I stopped and quickly wrapped Kelly in the blanket before I opened the door. A rush of cold air blew in my face and I jogged to the bus. There was a garbage can full of trash outside the door which made me curious as to what Momma was doing.

“Momma!” I yelled as I walked up the steps, “What are you doing?”

“I’m just getting things ready for you and Kelly until you can get some help,” Momma informed me.

The bus had got a complete makeover since I had left this evening. There were locks on the cabinets and these funky looking things on the doorknobs and I didn’t see my fifth of Crown Royal on the counter anymore.

“Where is my Crown?” I asked as I pointed towards the counter.

“I got rid of it,” Momma said plainly as she went about cleaning.

“What? Why?” I asked in shock.

“You don’t need that with a little one around, Luke,” Momma told me with concern.

“Mom! That was a brand new fifth!” I shouted in shock as Kelly started squirming in my arms.

“Go put Kelly in her bed and we will have a talk,” Momma told me. I did as I was told. When I walked into my room it wasn’t even recognizable. Everything was different. There was another dresser that hadn’t been there before and some kind of baby bed thing. I laid Kelly down in it and realized that she wouldn’t be able to get out of it without help. I really think I will like that thing. It’s giving me my bed back. 

“Come sit,” Momma said as she urged me to sit with her at the table.

“What is it?” I asked sitting at the table.

“You are going to have to make some major changes in your life. Kelly needs a home. Somewhere safe and a routine. I know you are on the road so much, but you need to provide that for her even when you are. You are going to need to hire someone to look after her when you can’t. A nanny of sorts,” Momma explained.

“How am I going to afford that?” I asked, “It’s not like I’m making lots of money.”

“You are going to have to get your priorities straight. You are going to have to give up things. All the drinking and partying is going to have to stop. You have Kelly to think about now. She needs to be your number one. It’s not about you now. It’s all about her. I know you were thrown into this and it’s a complete surprise, but Luke, your life needs to change,” Momma told me.

“Who is going to do that?” I asked.

“I was talking to Kerri earlier and I think we have found someone. Her name is Jillian. She’s been a nanny for years and is very reliable. Kerri has even met with her and is basically waiting on your approval,” Momma answered me.

“If Kerri thinks she’s good enough then it’s fine with me,” I told Momma.

“You should meet with her first, Luke. Make sure you and her are on the same page when it comes to Kelly,” Momma enlightened me.