Ume

'Get up!'

'I have to get-'

I opened my eyes, greeting the ceiling that I was familiar with. Something sounded like ringing, but I couldn't hear it properly. Turning to my left, the blue lining that hid inside my alarm was blinking, telling me that it was time to get up.

7'oclock.

Pressing the button on the top of it, the ringing stopped. Maybe it was because I was starting to get up, but the ringing wasn't coming out of my head. I had nothing to do today. If I didn't have this apartment room, then I wouldn't be sleeping on this comfortable bed. As I felt a wave of sleep hit me, I stared back at the ceiling and closed my eyes.

And it jolted back open as I heard a crash outside.

Getting out of my bed, I put on my slippers and opened my door, only to be greeted with the sight of cardboard boxes on the floor. Looking to my right, I can see a man nearing old age getting back up with a box in his hand.

"You don't need to help again, Ume. Just because you see me struggling, it doesn't mean that you have to-" Picking up one of the boxes, I stared up at him and waited patiently to give me the box that was in his hand. Sighing, he placed it on top of the one I had in my hands.

"Seriously, I'd think it'll be good for you to have a job or something, Ume. While it's fine for you to help me, I think it'll be good for to interact with the world around you. Get a job, meet someone, have a relationship, have friends, and all over sorts of things." Placing the two boxes down, I placed a third and fourth on the stack and picked them up.

"...Who will be here to help you, then?" My question made him sigh again as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Ume, a lot of people could use your help in the world. It doesn't have to be physical, but it can be emotional too. You don't have to lay your years here helping me out everyday. Not just me, but the residents here also appreciate all that you've done, too." As we walked down the stairs to put the boxes at its usual spot, I opened my mouth.

"...I have already applied for a job, Yamashita-san." After opening the storage room with his key, he replied with a shocked expression.

"And? Did you manage to land it?" After placing the boxes down, I stared back up at him and blinked.

"I have yet to check my emails, Yamashita-san. Especially when you needed help, I didn't care about the email." He had a habit of sighing when it came to me. He started to motion his hand to the door as he planted his other hand to his face.

"First, I want you to go to your room and check your email if you managed to get it or not. And second, I want you to put on your pajamas and walk outside not just with your underwear on." I could only stare back up at him and blink.

"Alright, I understand." Leaving the storage room, I walked back up the stairs to see a male holding out my purple and blue-striped pajamas. Judging by the expression on his face, I can tell that he looked upset.

"How many times do I have to tell you to not walk outside with your underwear on?" Taking them from his hands, I pulled over my pajama top over my white shirt and pulled up my bottom pajamas.

"I haven't kept count." I stared back at him after being finished. To this, he could only sigh with a palm at his face. It very much runs in Yamashita's family.

"Listen, not to sound weird or anything, you are a cute guy. And what might happen to cute guys as they are cut off guard is nothing worth knowing about. You're short, only coming to my shoulder, and you barely have any muscle. People are going to take advantage of you if you aren't careful, Ume." He ruffled my hair as I closed my eyes.