Catch my breath ...

As soon as the door clicked closed I lunged for the sink faucet. I needed to think and be alone, or at least pretend I was alone. My legs were shaky, so I sat on the closed toilet seat and buried my face in my shaking palms. What had just happened? I was feeling so overwhelmed with emotions and strange sensations. Also ashamed of myself, of how I'd reacted. Silas and Victor must think they did something wrong, when it was only me and my fault. But now I was too scared to face them both, too embarrassed. When my shaking and panting subsided enough to let me draw a big non-shaky breath, I followed the routine I'd established after every nightmare. Brushed my teeth, washed my face and stared at myself in the mirror. Nothing worked to get me back to normal.

I eyed my bed hair and pale face, my glassy green eyes made big with shock and decided a bath might help. So I took one. Then emptied the tub and filled it back with hotter water. And that's where I was, curled and crying silently in the now cold water, when Dr. Green knocked on the door and entered immediately after. I drew my knees tighter to myself. His sandy curls looked unruly and tangled and his white shirt hung over his black slacks. He looked fresh thou, like he'd rolled out of bed and been in a hurry to leave. His  usual playfulness that twinkled in his eyes was not there, thou'. I swallowed and tensed, tried to mask my trembling.

"Why the tears, Miss Sang?" he asked gently after kneeling by the tub, sighing and placing his chin on his folded arms on the edge of the tub.

"I'm scared ... and confused ... and I don't ..." I whispered, watching him and pleading with my eyes.

"You don't have to be scared, nothing wrong happened. Also, I'm here to explain some things to you... I'd hoped to have a few more months before this talk, but we'll improvise..." he said calmly while trailing the fingers of his right hand in the water. Abruptly, his eyes widened and locked on mine. I froze, breath caught in my throat. A quirky smile blossomed slowly on his lips and he jumped on his feet, chuckling.

"What?" I asked, breathless and bewildered.

"Pookie, while I approve of and use myself cold showers, a cold bath is a bit much. Pneumonia is not a solution to this particular problem." he said, hands on his hips. While his words made me blush and turn red all the way to my toes, his tone was a mix of reprimand, flirtatious and his eyes shone with laughter. I was derailed about wondering what he meant by a wink.

He turned and grabbed one of the big, fluffy towels on the rack by the door. Then he placed it slowly on the edge of the tub, his teasing  gaze never leaving my hot face.

"Put this on you, I'm gonna empty the bedroom for the talk I promised. And if you're not out there in 5 minutes tops, I'm coming back for you!" He said softly and left the bathroom. Before the door closed behind him, I heard Victor and Silas's voices but couldn't make up the words. They were speaking softly and both at once. I sighed and grabbed the towel.