Author's Note

Well, if you were around last year for 'Elizabeth writes four ONC entries 2020', you might remember I vowed I would do less than four entries this year and this is me sticking to that with my third (and final) ONC entry for 2021. 

As is customary for me, I will be using this year's open novella contest to try some new things. In this case, I am attempting my very first dual POV romance story and I am very excited to write one - I've always loved reading them! 

So, before we really get going: thank you so much for being here. I appreciate every single one of you for taking the time to stop by, vote, comment, or just read silently to yourself with whatever snack makes you happiest. I really hope you enjoy and please don't feel shy about leaving me comments, constructive or otherwise -- I'm always looking to make my work better. 

* ~ * Prompt #87 * ~ *

With the Kingdom Heir coming-of-age celebration fast approaching, the search for a match begins. It is decreed a dance will be held; an anonymous masked ball. 

* ~ * Summary * ~ * 

Alicia DuMont is telling the truth. Unless you count lies of omission, which she decidedly does not. Twenty-four and finally standing on her own two feet as a hairstylist, she is surprised when she and her friends receive an invitation to the prince's Coming-of-Age Masked Ball. Knowing they are right out of the running for marriage to the prince won't stop them from having a little fun, though!

Prince Alejandro has a truth he can't share: his country is weaker than it seems. At nearly twenty-one, his dream of marrying for love is tied up in somehow falling for a down-to-earth woman who can strengthen the monarchy. Hoping his Coming-of-Age Ball will throw such a girl into his path, he's determined to make the most of it. And when he meets the mysterious Alicia, he is immediately drawn to her.

When Alicia and Alejandro decide to begin a relationship, royal conventions throw them straight into an engagement. They may be the epitome of poise and grace in public, but behind the scenes questions of Alicia's suitability mix with the threat of national unrest. Every day their connection grows deeper, but if they can't find a way to quiet the growing discontent, they risk losing not only their relationship but also their country.