"Uh, hi um, I just wanted to...you know...see where you went, um, I really wasn't thinking..." I stammered.

He just shrugged and didn't give any reaction. "Of course, look around if you want. There's nothing much to see." He continued to search though the drawer till he dug out a sheet of crumpled paper and yelled. "Victory!"

"What?"

"Found it. The router password." He said, brandishing the paper in front of me. "Ukraine wanted it and couldn't find it. As usual." He skipped down the stairs and talked to his brother in Russian. I, again, with nothing to do, followed him down the creaky steps into the living room, where Ukraine and Russia were arguing about something. The fireplace was lit and made shadows dance eerily across the dark room. The fact that it had no windows and was facing north made it even darker. I crossed over the thick red carpet and sunk into one of the two armchairs next to the fire. Opposite of me, the two brothers squashed themselves into one chair. Even though it was large, they were making it difficult for themselves by intentionally making less space.

"Украина, перестал толкаться живо!" Russia complained.

"Ага, а как насчет нет?" Ukraine remarked with a smile on his face. After a curse and a growl from his brother, he huffed and slunk off to the lighter room on the south side. Russia raised his chin in triumph and gladly accepted Kazakhstan's company when he came down and snuggled with his older brother. I wished I had a brother as well. Kazakhstan must've sensed my sadness and came over to sit next to me, making little chirping noises like a bird.

"Hi!" He said after he finished his little chirpy song.

"Hello,"

"Why are you so sad?" He asked, rounding his eyes.

"I'm not sad."

"Yes you are. You look very sad."

"I feel weird being here," I explained, not sure if he'd understand. "Like I'm a guest, a watcher."

"Oh," he looked down and the slid over to Russia, taking his hand and pulling him to me. He pushed him down to sit right next to me and then planted himself on Russia's lap. "Now you're not guest." He smiled a wide and sincere grin. Russia was turning red and turned to watch the fire. We were literally sitting in one seat. Kazakhstan, thankfully did not notice the awkwardness.

"Thanks Kazakhstan," I said and he started to whistle another little lively song. He had an extraordinary ability to mimic bird noises and churrs. He fluttered his golden wings in Russia's face and giggled when he shooed the wings away. I felt myself nod off and soon enough Russia was shaking me awake.

"Dinner." He announced, and headed off to the adjacent room, which I guessed was the kitchen. It was a much lighter room, with white walls and large windows. The kitchen was as light as the living room was dark. I washed my hands quickly under the scalding heat of the tap, and sat down next to Russia and Kazakhstan. The food was of inferior quality than that of the cafeteria in the school, but it was made all by hand, I noticed. Once we all sat down, everyone except USSR bent their heads and muttered a prayer. I, along with my foster father, waited for them to finish. USSR was calmly sitting and staring at the wall, and I wondered if they always did this, and how did he cope with being left out. Judging by his nonchalance, he probably cared less than I thought. His eyes met mine and he gave me an apologetic look, as if saying sorry for not warning me of this ritual. When they finished their prayer, USSR turned away and helped himself to food.

"I should've warned you that we pray before meals," Russia whispered to me. "And father doesn't do it with us."

"Why not?" I said back, quietly while helping myself to some potatoes and meat on the table.