"So what exactly is your plan?" he asks. "Because, don't get me wrong, I would love to keep standing here, but—"

Louis snorts.

"Don't be silly."

And then he takes off towards the wall of rushing water, the sun reflecting on his wings and casting small specks of light around the meadow as they move in heavy flutters, lifting him higher and higher until he's reached the top of the waterfall. He turns to sit down on a protruding rock, dangling his legs and resting his chin in his palm while giving Harry an expectant look.

"Come on, then!" he calls out, tongue sticking out at the corner of his mouth in a very daring manner, and Harry blinks a couple of times. His teeth sink into his lower lip.

So like, here's the thing. Harry is not overly fond of heights.

It's not like he's scared or anything. He spends a majority of his work time flying over cities and oceans, for gods' sake. It's just, well. That's a completely different situation because he doesn't have to worry about a single thing in that form. He feels invincible when he's transferring through air.

Not that he isn't invincible in his physical form. Not that he can't transform into his spiritual form whenever he wants to.

Fuck, it's irrational. He knows it is. There's no real and valid excuse as to why heights would ever make him uncomfortable in his physical form. It's the most irrational thing in all of the worlds, and Harry detests how it always manages to make him light-headed and paranoid. He especially hates the way his stomach turns as he looks up the probably twenty feet to where Louis' effortlessly perched right now. The rock looks unreliable and Harry is not about to trust it.

"What is your motive?" he replies suspiciously, and the fairy rolls his eyes.

"Come up here, you coward."

And, well. No one calls Harry Styles a coward. He's not a fucking coward. He'll show Louis coward, he'll show him—

So with a huff, Harry dissolves to reappear right at Louis' side on the rock just a second later.

"I'm not a fucking coward," he says resolutely, causing Louis to yelp and jump slightly, losing his balance for a moment. He clings to Harry's arm to not fall down and proceeds to give him a pointed glare.

"Oh my god, Harold, warn a guy before you appear out of thin air."

An embarrassingly soft giggle tumbles out of Harry—it's really not his fault that Louis has this effect on him—and he gives the fairy an innocent smile as Louis slowly lets go of Harry's arm again, his hand slipping down to lie flat against the rock right next to Harry's own.

It'd be very easy to slip his hand into Louis' just about now, Harry notes. But he looks between their bodies, and he looks to the fairies laughing and swimming around below, and he doesn't.

So he's still too scared to fully act on his feelings. He still doesn't dare initiate anything when they're not alone or horny, and he still hasn't mentioned a thing about how he really feels, despite Zayn's pep talk giving him a bit more confidence and clarity.

He hopes to maybe gain the last bit he needs now. He hopes that maybe Louis will give him the last piece of confirmation he needs to take that step. Because honestly, while he loves every tender moment spent with Louis, this weird tip toeing between being a couple and being—whatever it is they are—it's tiring him out.

Then he realizes he's getting lost in thought—again—and dives straight back into business.

"I'm still suspicious of your motive," he enlightens Louis, causing the fairy to turn to him with a smug grin.