"Don't get cocky, Styles. It's not attractive."

Harry snorts out a laugh. "You're a liar."

Yeah, he kind of is. "I am not."

"Everything I do is attractive."

"Modesty, I personally think is the most attractive trait."

"Well. Since opposites attract, I guess that would make sense."

"You calling me big-headed?"

"Kind of, yeah. But so am I, I suppose."

"Congratulations," Louis meets his eyes. "At least we're in this together, then."

Wow. That... Doesn't at all sound like Louis finds Harry repulsive. It actually suggests the complete opposite, and Louis can see that the spirit notices that as well, because something new and curious awakens in the jade of his eyes, and he tilts his head to the side, giving Louis a proper look.

"Great," Harry answers, happily smirking along—testing the waters, Louis thinks. "Maybe being around other big-headed creatures is what we need."

Louis snorts. "Judging by your group of university friends, you succeeded long ago."

"They're really not as sure of themselves as you may think. If they were, they wouldn't let me call the shots on everything."

"Oh, so there's like a test? 'Are you unoriginal and lame enough to be Harry Styles' friend?'"

"There is. You definitely didn't pass it."

"I'm flattered," Louis puts a hand on his heart. "I knew my self-love would take me places one day."

"Me too," Harry grins.

Is this some kind of weird... flirting? Are they flirting right now? Is this actually happening? When Louis swore to try and tone down the fighting back there, this is not what he had in mind to replace it.

Louis shakes his head and blames Niall.

With those two simple words—me, too—echoing in his head and bouncing around in his ribcage, wondering what exactly they mean, Louis pushes away his fluster and forces his shoulders to relax indifferently.

He needs this to take a different approach. He can't do this, he can't do banter and flirting with Harry, he really can't. Not necessarily because it feels wrong—unfortunately, it really doesn't—but rather because it feels like if they continue any longer Louis' stomach is going to start fluttering, and that's just preposterous. Stupid Niall.

"Well," he says lightly. "I think my company good for you, honestly. I mean, since my big-headedness is justified and all, and yours isn't. It must be humbling."

Harry stops walking to properly be able to fix Louis with his gaze, raising a challenging eyebrow. His tentative smile shrinks into an entertained smirk. "Really, now?"

Louis must hand it to him—most creatures have trouble keeping up with Louis. His mood and his always buzzing mind are unpredictable and abrupt forces, and Louis knows that it often leaves people in his surroundings a few pages behind himself. He's never quite met someone who's constantly so on the same wavelength at Harry is.

Not that it's a good thing. Certainly not. It's annoying and Louis detests it, naturally. But still. Credit where credit's due.

He nods defiantly, adds a shrug to it to look his most nonchalant.

"Looks isn't everything, you know? And I mean, here I am, outshining the Day itself with not only my stunning face, but also my wonderful wits and outstanding charisma—"