Double Date - 01

ching!

The door chims open as a girl with short, dark hair enters the café.

Rachel was never the one to go to such a fancy café, but now all she wanted was a strong cup of coffee. She was more of a tea drinker, but after whatever had happened, she really needed some caffeine in her system. Rachel Roth, who lived in Jump City, had only come to Gotham City to meet her best friend since high school, Kory Anders. Rachel always had an all-business aura around her, and Kory was filled with rainbows and unicorns. Though total opposites, they always complicated each other. And now Kory was on her trail to find an appropriate guy for Rachel to date, as Kory said, Rachel's life is too boring and needs a pinch of 'the romance.'

'Caffeine, no milk.' She ordered at the counter at an irritated voice. The café was relatively big compared to the ones she usually hung out at work at Jump, even much vibrant. Very few people were present, including a very irritated teenaged worker, an elderly couple, a group of teenagers and a man who's face she didn't pay much attention to. 'Here ya' go. That'll be ***dollars.' The pink haired girl at the counter, 'Wally' written at her name-tag, most probably some other co-worker's apron, handed her the cup of coffee. 'Thanks, here you go..' She paid, got her cup and went on her way to an unoccupied seat.

Just then, a teenager screamed, which caused his friend to fall from the chair, causing the man's chair to halt abruptly, and the man's hand, which was holding a newspaper to jerk forward, pushing Rachel's cup from the sideways, and making her spill more that half of her coffee on the floor.

'Shit.' She cursed, looking at the spilled coffee on the floor. 'Could this day get any worse!'

'Oh! I'm so so sorry! Please let me get you another one!'

And then she saw him.

 Her legs started feeling like Jell-O. Rachel wasn't really the poster girl for drooling over boys, nor was she really interested in one, but now looking at the person standing in front of her, she lost all her senses. 

The boy was probably of her age, in his mid-twenties, but he had a certain boyish look in his feature. He was taller than her and his muscled body was easily visible through his green shirt, beneath which he was wearing a grey tee. He had a pair of unnaturally sharp ears. He had brown hair with green on the tips and beautiful green eyes that were currently filled with worry. She suddenly blushed realizing that she was checking out a complete stranger.

'Oh, o-ok.' She replied to the question that she long forgot.

'Great!' His eyes filled with relief and he gave her a handsome smile. 'Caffeine, with no milk? Please sit.' Rachel hesitantly took a seat and he headed toward the counter.

Wow, she looked so adorable when she blushed while checking me out. He thought. I can't believe God has given me such a chance to talk to such a beautiful girl. She looked kinda hot in her oversized hoodie. Maybe she's not... Gah! What are you thinking about! All you have to do now is get her coffee, apologize, and maybe start a legit conversation?

What are you doing Rachel!?! Drinking coffee with a total stranger isn't you! Wait, what if he just offered me to just 'buy' the drink and then go about his own work? That would be a bummer since he's really cute. Rachel thought, looking over at him while he order her her drink and probably another one for himself. 

Well, he did tell me to 'sit' and I kind of feel like maybe I can have a proper conversation with him. But then, maybe if he turns out to be a psychopathic killer, you'll face the consequences later. She saw him approaching and regained herself.

'Here it is.' He said with that same adorable smile (Adorable?! Now you're just sounding like a fangirl Rachel!) and took the seat in front of her. 'You wouldn't mind if I joined you, do you?' She shook her head. 'I'm really sorry for spilling your coffee in the first place. I'm Gar Logan by the way.'

He extended his had towards her. She took his hand and he gently shook it. 'Rachel. Rachel Roth.' She said with a gentle smile. 'Gar Log.. Garfield Logan.. aren't you a famous wildlife explorer, I remember seeing you in the newspaper some days back.' Not a psychopathic killer.

'Yeah, well that's me..' He said as pink tinted his cheeks, obviously having less to no people know about his humble working. 'Well I can't say I'm totally oblivious to your work too,' He continued, 'Rachel Roth' He said, feeling her name roll off his tongue.

She smiled, 'Well, that's just like my hobby, but I'm glad you liked my books' She said with a shy smile as she took hold of the cup in front.

'Well, to be honest, I'm not the kind of guy to go for books with not even a single picture,' He said, which caused her to chuckle, 'But your latest trilogy, 'The End' was actually better than any movie!' He exclaimed, feeling oddly comfortable in her presence. 

'Thank you,' She said softly. Her cheeks were tinted pink. 'Actually that story com-'Gar's phone started to ring, he muttered an apology, looked at his phone, muted it and faced her with a smile on his face. 'You were saying?'

Rachel gave him a funny look, 'You should pick it up, it won't bother me..'

'It isn't really that important.'

'....'

'Okay, fine, I'll take it..' He said with an eye-roll and brought the phone to his ear, which made her break into a triumph smile.

'Hey Rob, wassup!' He said to his friend/brother (Rachel had no idea who he was, especially being named 'Rob'.) Maybe that's his nick name?'Umm.. yeah... not really brah.... n-maybe?' Rachel had no idea who was on the other side of the phone, but the person sure was giving him a hard time, judging by his furrowed brows and uncomfortable smile. Then he released a defeated sigh. 'Okay Robin..'

Robin it is. Not Rob 

 'Fine then... ok I promise.. K See ya.'

Rachel smiled at him at him as he looked rather defeated after the conversation.

'Sorry, It's just that, I actually live in Jump, I just came here to meet a friend of mine, and now he wants me to go on a 'double date' with some random blonde chick with his long time girlfriend' He said, defiantly irritated by his friend.

'What! You too!? Same thing happened to me today!' Rachel felt her guard going low, but right now, she felt as if she talked to Gar, everything will be better. It was just this 'thing' about him that made her so comfortable. 'Actually even I'm from Jump, and I came to meet my best friend and boom! she's setting me up with some random guy on' Dramatic pause 'A. Double. Date.'

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

That was the first chapter of my first fanfic!! I would really appreciate it if you would take your time and comment on the story!
Did you like it?
Was my writing style fine?
Are you excited for it to continue?

Really thank you for reading it!
To be continued...