Chapter Seven

"You dont have to do this you know" I said, "I do im not letting everyone down" he replied quietly clearing his throat. "Youre an idiot, look just dont push your voice too much" I said, "yeah yeah whatever" he said. "No I mean it adam promise me you wont push it" I said looking into his eyes, "Ok I promise" he said kissing my forehead. The lights went up as he stepped through the smoke, I saw him cough a little as everyone cheered.

He had the whole audience on their feet singing along, I could tell he was struggling to sing the higher notes but he pushed through it. He left the stage to get changed, as he smiled when he walked past me blowing me a kiss. He got through the show as it came to rogers solo drum battle thing he left the stage to change again. I heard him coughing as I leant against the doorframe "You ok?" I asked, "not really this cough is really starting to annoy me" he said.

"Its gotten worse, your voice is getting more quiet" I said, "I know I dont know how much more I can sing so they can actually hear it" he commented. "Theres only a few songs left, drink water I know you dont want to let people down but it might be worth cutting a couple of songs" I said. "Maybe anyway id better get back out there" he said walking back on stage, he finished the show after all but his voice was a whisper now.

"Why dont you head to bed?" brian said to adam who nodded and went back to the hotel with the chauffeur. "You guys should head back to bed too, especially you bri youre still sick remember" I said. He laughed quietly, "what about you?" roger  asked. "I'll joing you in a bit im going to help these guys first" I said gesturing to the roadies. "Are you sure?" brian asked, "yes im sure go i'll catch a cab" I said as they nodded and disapeared to the waiting car.

A few hours later...

The staging was swept and tidied, I looked at my watch and saw it was 4 am. "Whats left to do?" I asked, "just the dressing rooms" cal said. "Cool lets get them done and go to bed" I said as my mobile rung, "hello?" I said stepping into one of the empty rooms so I could hear. "Hes what?" I asked, rogers voice came down the phone he was panicky. "Ok i'll be there in 10" I said as he put the phone down.

"Ive got to go adams apparently im needed, will you guys be ok?" I said to cal, "yeah go we'll be fine" he replied. I nodded and spotted one of the roadies, "hey can you give me a ride to the hotel up the road please" I said. "Yeah sure thing" he said stamping out his cigarette as I climbed in. After a 15 minute drive he came to a stop, I handed him a note" for your time thank you so much" I said climbing out of the car and running inside.

I unlocked the door with the key card and saw roger and brian sitting in the front room, "hey whats the emergency?" I asked. "Adam hes really sick, he can only whisper now. Hes having trouble swallowing stuff, and his cough is getting worse. He wanted you" they explained. "Where is he?" I asked, roger nodded towards the bedroom. I pushed the door open adam was laying with his face turned away from me.

"Adam?" I said as he groaned quietly and faced me, he held out his hand as I walked over to him and sat on the bed. He took my hand is his, he looked so pale. "Hey" he whispered, "hey you. I hate to tell you this but you look like shit" I said. "Thanks" he answered laughing a little, the laughing was oon replaced by coughing. I handed him the glass of water as he sipped it, I could see swallowing hurt it was written all over his face.

"You should be sleeping" I said moving his fringe from his eyes, my fingers brushed his forehead and I pulled them away wow my hands must be warmer than I thought. "I cant sleep" he answered, "try i'll stay with you" I said quietly stroking his hair. I moved my hands down his cheeks, they were quite flushed. I placed my hand on his forehead and gasped, "roger you need to ring a doctor hes burning up!" I shouted as adams eyes closed a little.

Brian appeared in the doorway, "is there anything I can get?" he asked. "A cold flannel would be good thanks" I replied as  brian went to fetch one. "The doctor is on the way now" roger said sitting on the edge of the bed, "here you go" brian said handing me the flannel. I placed it on adams head as he shuddered because it was cold, "its ok adam the doctor is coming" I told him.

A few minutes later there was a knock at the hotel door, roger answered it as a man in a sharp suit walked in. "Sorry to call you out so late" I apologised, "its ok miss im doctor fritz is this who you called me about?" he asked pointing to adam. "Yes he caught a cold, thought nothing of it and performed in a concert tonight. Now hes burning hot, can barely speak, swallow and he keeps coughing" I explained.

"Ok adam can you sit up for me" the doctor said to a sleepy adam, he struggled up and coughed. "Open your mouth please" he said as adam did as he was told, the doctor placed a stick on his tongue and shone a light down his throat. He hummed and told adam to close his mouth, he wiped his tongue with the sleeve of his top.

He felt adams neck and took his temperature, "so whats wrong with him?" brian questioned. "Bad laryngitis, likely to get worse over the course of having it. The voice problems will last a week at the least after all other symptoms have passed. Drink plenty of water, avoid alcahol and caffinated drinks. Paracetamol for the headache and fever, avoiding smoky or dry places. Vocal rest so no singing or speaking unless you have to. Should clear up on its own in a week or so" he instructed.

"What about the shows?" roger asked, "you will either have to cancel them or find a replacement" he said. "Right thank you doctor for your time" brian said shaking his hand and letting him out. "We are going to have to cancel the shows" roger said, "no" adam said. "You heard the doctor adam our health come first everytime. The fans will understand, we have a good few days anyway until the next show. You are on bed rest and no arguments!" brian said.

Adam rolled his eyes as I smirked, "yeah listen to doctor brian" I said as they laughed. "Get some sleep" roger said as adam sighed. They left the room as I sat with adam, I stroked his cheek as he slowly fell asleep. "I love you" I whispered into his ear as I kissed his head and quietly left the room.