Chapter Nineteen

A few weeks later...

I turned my hand round and smiled, my fracture had healed and I finally had the cast off. I have to wear a bandage still but it means I dont have to use the chair. My cast on my arm wont come off for about another week or so, "come on then lets get going" adam said. I followed him slowly and unsteadily towards him, it was so much effort. My grandparents went back home last week, adams album comes out next month then its tours next year.

He pulled his car into the late LA traffic, his expression unreadable from beneath his raybans. He kept his eyes locked to the road as his hair blew in the wind. My mobile rung as I answered it, "jess its your dad. Hes out" he said. "No he cant be they cant!" I yelled as adam jumped and looked over at me. "Well they have I thought you had a right to no, oh and im in LA for a couple of days if you wanted to meet" he said.

"I might take you up on that thank you for telling me" I said putting the phone down, "what is it?" adam asked. "Nothing, its nothing" I replied looking away, I couldnt talk to him about that. That was something he could never find out, we pulled into the drive and came to a stop as I climbed out and rushed inside.

I shut my bedroom door and sat down in front of it so noone could get in. They cant let him free, they cant not after everything its not fair. I pulled my knees up to my chin, I heard a knock at the door. "Jess are you ok?" adam asked, "im fine" I said although the cracking in my voice gave me away.

"Dont lie to me jess, If I have to sit the other side of this door all day I will" he said stubbornly. I leant back as tears trailed down my cheeks, he was going to have to find out sooner or later. All the memories came flooding back as the tears fell heavier as I sobbed quietly, "please let me in jess" adam said from the other side of the door. I stood up and pulled open the door, he looked at me and stepped in.

"Whats wrong?" he asked, I shook my head "hold me" I pleaded. He pulled me into his arms as we sunk to the floor and I sobbed into his shirt, his gently grip round me made my cry more. Knowing he could chase the darkness away just by holding me, but either way he cant know.

Adam POV

I glanced over at jess who was sleeping quietly behind me, her breathing was shallow where she had cried herself to sleep. I dont know what the hell happened she wont tell me, but seeing her like that was scary. Her just wanting to be held, as though it made her feel safer. There was something she remembered, something deeper than I could ever imagine but I didnt know what it was. It clearly distressed her, I wasnt going to push her to tell me but It doesnt stop me worrying.

Jess POV

"Im just popping out I wont be long" I said as adam looked up at me, "do you want me to drive you?" he asked. "No you stay here I need to be alone for a while I wont be more than a couple of hours" I said kissing him softly as he kissed me back and I headed into the waiting taxi. We pulled up outside a park as I paid the man and climbed out, I saw him standing facing the lake as he turned round. "Jess!" he said as I fell into his open arms, "dad" I said as hes pulled me against him. "Come on we'll grab a milkshake" he said as we headed for the park cafe.

I absent mindedly swirled my straw round the glass, "I cant believe they let him out" I mused. "I know after what he did to you he should be locked away forever, look im sorry for what I said about your mums funeral I didnt mean it" he said. "Its fine really I should have been there I totally get why you got annoyed" I answered.

"Have you told adam about davey?" he asked, "no he cant ever know about him im not going to drop this on him he doesnt need to know about my past" I commented. "Hes going to find out when he tried to touch you and triggers it, if he doesnt know he will think youre just being off thats not fair on him or you" he replied.

"I suppose, I mean if he finds out himself he would be pretty pissed. Im going to have to tell him arent I?" I questioned. "Yes" he said, I sighed and drank the rest of my milkshake. "I forgot to ask what brings you to LA?" I asked. "A job, we are discussing a contract to a new hotel chain here" he explained. "Oh right thats cool then are you only here for a few days?" I questioned.

"Yes, but if this deal goes ahead i'm going to be here more often is that ok with you?" he questioned, "of course why wouldnt it be?" I asked. "Well it might be a little awkward I mean we never had a proper conversation before today" he said. "I know" I replied, "and it was my fault I shouldnt have left. I missed out on so much of your life, but the whole aftermath of what happened was too much. Knowing what he did to you, knowing I didnt stop it" he answered.

"It was a long time ago I get it now and im over it, youre here now and thats all that matters. At least I have one parent" I said as he squeezed my hands over the table.