Records and Wine

It was roughly 6:45, the sun was sinking into the horizon. Several clouds blocking the natural light. Flicking on several lights in the dim room. Beige walls surrounded the bourbon-stained wood floor. Small plants live in windows and on tables around the room. Hange took notes on their life cycles. They had decided each plant had its own life and personality... it doesn't make any sense how they came up to that conclusion but you don't need an explanation.

Knowing Hange would return soon you decide to start a kettle. Once the water has boiled you pour it into two cups and start to brew their favorite blend. Pouring in some sugar and cream, you set the drink for Hange off to the side. It's far too hot to drink right now, but it shouldn't be more than three or four minutes.

A quiet clock hung on the wall chimed that it was now 7:00, and almost at the same moment, the door swung open revealing a slightly disheveled Hange.

Shooting you a tired but bright smile they walk over to the table and drop their papers to reach you in a warm hug "I missed you all day!" They exaggerated, just seeing you filled them with more than enough energy, "You won't believe what we did today!"

You break apart for Hange to pick up the mug instinctively.

"We worked with the chemical composition of different organic life to see how they react in different environments and to different chemicals on a molecular level!" Hange spoke fast but clear, only paused to take a swig of the drink.

"Who hoo- This is one of the best yet!!" Hange took another swig and stared into the cup.

You watched their eyes gleam with interest and pure joy at the warm liquid.

"I put some cream and sugar in it this time," You yourself took a sip. She was right, it's good.

While walking back to the table that was once clean, Hange sat down and put their ceramic mug on an open space. They crossed their leg over the other and faced you.

"Can you believe that there was one specimen that repelled water? What kind of plant is hydrophobic? And there was another one that started to dissolve in citric acid. And it's not a real surprise that most of them were injured with the stronger acid we had. But what doesn't make a lot of sense is how the plant reacted to vinegar... the leaves dried up and started to shrivel but the roots remained perfectly fine.." they tapped on their chin as they rambled aloud.

You hum signaling that you're listening as you start to prepare dinner.

"And you named them?"

Hange uncrossed their legs and started cleaning up their papers while also unintentionally making a bigger mess across the table.

"Of course. We have five different plants which we ended up doing seven different tests. I plan on doing four more tomorrow. I want to see how their DNA reacts to a human illness and vaccine. I also want to see if they can heal after going through traumatic experiences such as extreme heat or cold." They gasped a little and you looked over to be met a pair of golden orbs "You should join me in the lab this week!"

"I'd love to."

"When. Tomorrow? Maybe Thursday? Friday might end up being more of a paperwork kind of day... but Thursday there will be me and my assistant only."

"Anything would be perfect."

With a quick clap, your fate has been sealed.

Preparing a cut of sirloin steak you trim it and cover it in salt and cracked pepper. Setting it off to the side you prepare some sides as well.

Hange has been watching you out of the corner of their eye. They simply admired your skill in the kitchen. They have abandoned the mess of papers to watch you. After several minutes they stood up and decided to help after washing their hands. No words were spoken, just the two of you chopping and preparing food.