Chapter 1- Jack Van Lowden

Connecticut, Greenwich, 17th November 

 It was late in the afternoon, the sky was beginning to become a mix of pinks and oranges as the sun started to descend. Although it was a bit chilly in Connecticut, it was still a good temperature to be outside playing basketball which was exactly what my two younger brothers, William and Carter, and my younger twin sisters, Madison and Meredith, were doing. I could hear Madison bashing my brothers from the living room and every time either her or Meredith shouted out "loser" to William or Carter, I couldn't hold a chuckle.

Hearing them play was a nice background sound as I worked from the living room

Hearing them play was a nice background sound as I worked from the living room. It was Saturday and I should probably be doing just the same they were doing and enjoying my weekend with the family. However, as much as I wanted to be outside right now with them, my job required my attention.

 Being, at thirty-two year old, the youngest CFO of the Dot Com Corporation - the largest e-commerce company in the United States.  My job didn't allow me too much free time. I had responsibilities to uphold and people to prove that they had made a good choice when they nominated me for the position. Just because I was the son of one of the co-founders it didn't mean I wasn't good to hold the position, in fact, I was more then good and I wanted to show that to the board members and every employee at Dot Com Corp. Plus, I was also a known workaholic which is why my letting go off work on weekends or ever, really was something I rarely do, much for disdain of my mother. 

Tess Van Lowden hates when we work on weekends, I say we, because my father is included on this equation. You see, I'm not the only workaholic in the family. Robert Jean Van Lowden, the co-founder and Executive Chairman of the Board of the Dot Com Corp. was too an workaholic. Hence why, at the present moment, he was in New York closing business, on a Saturday, and I was in the dinning room table going over emails and calls. You can see why my mother goes bananas with her husband and oldest child. 

Talking about the anti-workaholics of the family, my mother decides to graciously walk right pass me. Her green eyes, which are the same colour as mine, look to me displeased. She hadn't been in a good mood since my father told her over breakfast that he was going to go to New York for a few hours to close a deal. 

"How long?" She asks me, still with the same displease look. It had taken my mother almost a month to reunite all of us again under one roof and only for a weekend. So, you could understand why she was mad, not just with me, but especially with my father. He was the one who popped on a helicopter with his business partner and went to New York. 

"Maybe about an hour," I replied calmly. "Mom, I have things to do that cannot wait."

She rolls her eyes. Still displeased, guess that was going to be the look she was going to give me the rest of the day, or at least until my father gets back from New York. Then the looks will certainly going to fall on him.