CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

LAINE

Watching Trevor crash and burn is the only piece of justice I need. As he pleaded guilty before the trial, there was no need for me to give evidence, which suited me fine. The thought of digging up years of terrible memories was not high on my to-do list.

I did, however, get the pleasure of watching the judge serve him with a twenty-five-year jail sentence, consequently only five of them for the rape. They went big on the carjacking charges. I couldn't even find the strength within myself to stop the sobs when they relayed the horror of the night of Theo's attack. It broke me into about a million pieces, and even though Theo shared it with me already, he buffered a few things that came out in court.

My poor baby. My poor, beautiful, kind and courageous angel.

With Theo sitting close to my side in the stands, I stared into the eyes of the man who caused us so much pain, trying to portray the hate I kept towards him. Because I wanted him to feel the pain, to know what suffering was for the rest of his life. It did the job because he could barely look at me as they cuffed and escorted him down the staircase.

I held George a little tighter that night, absorbing every bit of him I could by stroking the top of his head, kissing his soft cheek and laughing at his new jokes. Theo let us have our moment alone, taking the trip up to Benson's handy store to surprise his friend and beg for his job back.

There was no question, of course, Benson agreed to give him his job back with the prospect of promotion now the older guy was thinking about retirement. A brilliant opportunity that Theo snapped up with no hesitations, starting back there the following day.

Two months later and I'm well into this pregnancy and excited over every moment. Thankfully, my nausea stopped a few weeks back and the glow in my cheeks seems to get brighter by the day. I love that I'm sharing this moment with my sister-in-law, dragging our men to the latest Antenatal class about breastfeeding.

Theo is a complete teacher's pet, while Edward grumbles that it's pointless he be there considering it's their third child. Delilah says that she only pulls him along because she enjoys when he gets all passionate about something, especially loving the sick look on his face when our teacher mentions the causes of bleeding nipples.

"What's the topic next week?" says Theo as I strap myself into the car seat; because he's driving.

I wave at Delilah when Edward pulls out of the car space next to me. "Birth plans."

Now, so confident behind the wheel, he reverses and pulls out of the community centre to join the traffic to head to George's drama class. A new hobby, but one proving fantastic for his growing confidence. The stammering a thing of the past now he's found acting.

"You still want to have a home birth?" he says, adjusting the volume of the radio when it seems too loud.

After some careful consideration, I choose the home birth for the practicality of it. I feel safest at home surrounded by those I love, and to know there will be no interruptions after is just wonderful. I am low risk, and this being my second pregnancy gives the midwife the confidence that an at-home birth is the better option for me.

"Yes, you still okay with it?" I reply, wanting him to be as involved in the decision making as I am.

He glances at me, then back to the road. "As long as it's safe. I'm cool."

I press the back of my head up against the headrest for the comfortable parts to soothe my aching neck and rest my palm on his knee. "I mean, childbirth is always going to have its risks. There will be a midwife with us. It's safe."