Chapter 17: England is My City

______________________________

His face crumpled and he turned away.

"That's our song.."

______________________________

George POV

We got home and I ran to Clays room. I played the song on repeat for hours, crying my heart out. I can't hear him anymore.

"Your love is my turning page,
Where only the sweetest words remain."

He's cut me off completely.

"Every kiss is a cursive line,
Every touch is a redefining phrase."

I can't see him anymore.

"I surrender who I've been for who you are."

I can't hear him anymore.

"For nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart."

As the song came to a close for the twentieth time today, I got my phone and started playing the voicemail again, "Hey Nick, it's Clay. Of course you already knew this...."

I listened to him talk. I missed it. He always pronounces his 's's weirdly so it sounds like he has a lisp. He'd normally repeat the word 'like' about fifty times because he speaks too fast and needs his mouth to catch up with what his brain is trying to say. He stumbles over some of his words too. I'd laugh every time he did and he would tell me to shut up while shaking his head.

His voice would soften if I sounded different and he would immediately sound concerned. He always lingered on the word 'love' if it was in any of his sentences. Especially when saying I love you. His voice was always warm, welcoming.

Even in heated moments, I was never scared of the words coming out his mouth. He said them in such a way that I'd convince myself everything made sense and that everything would be okay. When he sung I'd just melt. He had such a soothing voice.

I fell in love with his voice before I ever saw his face.

But now I won't hear it. I can't.

Nick told me he'd booked flights to the UK. I protested profusely but he wouldnt listen. He'd even organised for Patches to be taken with us.

Why was everything moving so fast yet so unbelievably slowly?

We were flying out tomorrow.

This house would be empty.

Nick told me he had to go somewhere temporarily and I barely acknowledged it. I didn't care anymore. I was so hurt. First he hands himself in, now I can't even fucking see him?

I sobbed until I fell asleep.

I woke to Nick shaking me. I didn't realise he'd been gone for four hours.

"Okay, good. You're alive."

"Yeah, unfortunately, why?"

"I was shouting up and you didn't reply."

"Sorry, sorry. I was asleep."

"We fly out tomorrow at 10am."

"Okay."

"Do you want me to pack for you?"

"I can do it."

"Are you sure?"

Why's he fucking babying me? I'm not any less capable of these things just because my big, bad, boyfriend is in prison.

Was he even my boyfriend anymore?