VII. Hers

The next day...

When I checked in at the front counter, I rushed to the back so I could be with him. I hadn't wanted to leave last night, but the doctor convinced me to. I guess he was right- I probably did need to go home- but I still didn't want to leave you. I can't believe out of all his friends he chose me...

Maybe because he didn't want to look weak in front of all his friends. Maybe because he didn't care what I thought of him... I didn't matter to him anyway. But if his friends saw him like this... he was always so strong... I hope he's doing okay minus the wreck.

Some days I wish I could wake up with amnesia but now... now seeing him like this, knowing this is killing him to be like this... I don't want to forget. I don't want to die anymore, because I know somewhere someone will need me at sometime... no matter why they do it doesn't matter anymore. It would be selfish to go away forever even if I said goodbye.

As I got into the room and sat in my chair, he was looking better already. I mean, really good. His face was just a little red with some blue bruises where the worst had happened. His arms and legs were just a little scraped and he didn't look as... pained.

"My memory is coming back... I mean everything," he looks almost as happy as he did when we were together... his smile... it could light up the whole town if he wanted it to. I haven't seen it in so long I hadn't realized I missed it until now.

"What?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"What?" I said as I was shaken out of my daze.

"You were smiling and you did that thing you do when you're thinking about something."

"Oh... Nothing..." I blushed.

"What was it?" he continued to ask me.

"Nothing I just...

I should just tell him anyway. Not like it changes anything.

"...I missed your smile."

"I missed yours too. I love you. I never stopped... I need to know if you think you could ever love me ag-"

I started crying uncontrollably, I couldn't help it. I already knew what he was going to say. I leaned over and hugged him as tight as I could with his conditions... and I started to laugh. All these months of crying because we had split but now... now they were tears of joy.

"Yes," I mumbled in between sobs.

I heard him take a sharp breath and I let go of him. I didn't want to hurt him now of all times.

He looked up and laughed as he stroked my cheek and sat up to brush his lips against mine, but then he groaned and rubbed his chest. I let him lay down again and went back to sitting into my chair. I couldn't help but let out a smile every time I looked at him now. He was mine now... He always was and I was so, so stupid not to realize it in the first place.

The rest of the day we talked about all the little things we remembered. His memory was getting really good now... I hope he can get discharged soon. Christmas is in two days and I want him... not just have him but I want him to be with me.