The Unknown

Derek's POV:

I asked Meredith for coffee and she said yes, I wasn't really expecting that. The next day we went out for coffee. I got an expresso while Meredith got a mocha with exactly 3 spoons of sugar, and a splash of milk. We got talking about our lives. She said that her mother was THE Ellis Grey, the one who had one the Harper Avery TWICE and was literally my idol. She also said that her dad left her while she was 3 and started a new family with someone else.

Meredith's POV:

After I told Derek about my crappy childhood, Derek told me his. Apparently, Derek's dad had died because his father refused to give the watch that Derek's mother had given him. I felt so bad. Derek had to see his father bleed out before the paramedics came. Derek proceeded to change the topic by asking me, "are you single?" That was the sweetest thing he ever had asked me, he really did like me. I told him that yes I was single but I wasn't looking for a relationship.

Derek's POV:

What? How could she not be interested? She was kissing me like we were an old couple who had been married for over six decades. Why? Out of rage? Was she playing me? I asked her why again and then she broke out into tears. This didn't make sense anymore, how could she be crying? I should be the one crying.

Meredith's POV:

What Derek didn't know was that I had been in a toxic and abusive relationship. Paul had been hitting me everyday leaving me with bruises. I sutured myself every day after he broke his beer bottles and smashed them on my body. I wore long-sleeved clothes and loads of turtle necks, what was even worse was that he went from Dartmouth to med school with me. Every day he would scream at me. As the months went by he started hitting me more and more saying that I was the problem and he had nothing to do with it, one day Derek spotted us.

Derek's POV: I walked into the supply closet to go get some suture kits as I heard some screaming and some glass breaking. The voices sounded similar. I realized who it was. It was Paul and Meredith. I ran and as I opened the door I saw Meredith laying there helpless as she was covered in glass shards all over her body. She was bleeding in the abdominal, the brain, and the lung area. I called 911 and alerted the director. The police came as they detained Paul for assault.

When they took her to a real hospital, all I heard were the beats of the heart monitors and all the people on life support. I also occasionally heard people crashing and real doctors yelling charge to two hundred, as well as "time of death 14:23" I certainly did not want that to happen.