For James

The first snow of the year dusted the ground with a glimmering white powder.

Street lamps illuminated their surroundings, the night grew twilight as the hours progressed.

Lines of homes aligned throughout the twisted street.

The small neighborhood was silent. The snow absorbing any sound threatening to pass through.

James placed a dirty cup into the double sink of his kitchen- the china against metal connected with a brink sound.

The crackling of burning wood bounced off the beige walls of the small home. Allowing for him to hear it from the other room.

The house was oddly quiet. The four walls that housed all his friends were unusually empty, except for himself.

Sirius and Remus enjoying a night to themselves- only after James convinced them he wasn't a child and could handle being on his own.

Lily and Marlene had been by less often now of days. They spent most of their time at their own flat. James couldn't blame them, after all they had been so excited to be expecting.

It really was a blessing. A child on the way. After the year they'd had they could use a few victories.

However, it didn't stop the fact that the war still carried on and everyday lives had been and would continue to be lost.

Times were desperate and James was clinging to anything and everything he could.

A few days into the new year and James had faith it would be better than the previous.

Things had to get better. They needed to get better.

He ran his fingers through his messy dark hair as he sighed heavily.

Some nights were easier than others, but war does more damage then what's seen above the surface.

"A good year. A good year. A good year...." James mumbled to himself. It was slightly therapeutic in his time of overbearing anxiety build ups.

A tap smacked against the window, making James jump slightly.

He looked out the small rectangular window above the double sink and spotted the owl hovering on the other side of the window.

Its eyes stood out as the darkness of night camouflage the rest of its body.

James pushed out the bottom half of the small kitchen window as the owl dropped the letter through the opening.

The envelope glided down through the air and into the almost empty sink.

Before James could thank the creature thought, it had flown away hastily.

James didn't dwell on it for long as his swiftly shut the window as cold air swept inside, causing goosebumps to form upon his skin.

Gently and carefully he picked the letter up, flipping it over and spotting his name written in beautiful calligraphy along the frontside.

His stomach lurched in familiarity and his head screamed for him not to open the parchment.

His curiosity, however, would not let him do so.

He pushed his glasses up as the slid down his nose before placing his finger under the envelope tab and breaking the seal.

He slipped out the folded parchment before discarding the envelope onto the counter beside him.

To those I've failed,

James exited the kitchen furrowing his eyebrows before further continuing down the letter.