[1] the injured bird

I groaned as I pulled the bed sheets above my head. I checked my clock showing that it was 12:47 in the afternoon. I guess that's what I get for spending all night playing video games.

The soft pitter patter of the rain against my bedroom window brought me comfort. I guess I should get up, I thought to myself. I pushed myself up to a seat and threw on a t-shirt before heading downstairs.

"Good afternoon sleepy head," My mother greeted me by ruffling my hair.

I yawned and stretched while replying with "Good afternoon."

"You shouldn't sleep your whole summer away," Mikasa added from the kitchen island where she was making a smoothie.

"Not like there's anything to do anyway," I replied.

"Sure there is. Why don't you go for a walk," My mom suggested.

"But there's rain."

"That just adds to the fun," She said with that sweet smile of hers.

I reluctantly agreed. I hadn't gotten out much at all in weeks. It'd probably be good for me. I slipped on a ripped pair of vans knowing damn well my socks would get soaked. I stepped outside and decided not to bring an umbrella. It always made my arm sore after a while.

I walked out of the neighborhood and headed down the bike trail in between a forest of trees. It was usually crowded but because of the rain today it was empty. I enjoyed the quiet, hearing nothing but the rain spilling onto the trees and birds chirping in the distance.

I groaned as I misplaced my foot into a deep puddle that left my entire shoe soaked.

"Dammit," I cursed under my breath.

Just then I noticed a stranger walking down the path in the opposite direction of me. He had bright blonde hair and was clutching his stomach.

"Hey are you feeling alright," I stopped him. He jumped and looked at me. "You're clutching your stomach. I was just wondering if you were feeling alright." I clarified because of his confused expression.

"Oh I just found this little guy," He said, opening up his palms to reveal a small bird.

"Is he hurt?" I asked. He nodded, gingerly picking up his wing which appeared broken.

"How do you plan on helping him?" I asked. I worried for a second, not wanting to come off as annoying with all these questions.

He stood there for a moment, "I'm not sure actually"

"Well my neighbor is a vet he may be able to help," I informed him.

"Really?" His bright blue eyes filled with hope.

"Yeah his house is just a short walk from here." I said and pointed in the direction the boy was already headed.

"Okay," He replied. We began walking while he cupped the bird in his palm and shielded him from the rain with the other hand.

"By the way I'm Eren Yeager. It's nice to meet you," I said after realizing that we didn't even introduce ourselves. The boy did appear to be about my age.

"I'm Armin Arlert. It's nice to meet you too," He replied in a soft voice. It was almost hard to hear him over the sound of the rain. "You have pretty eyes," He blurted out. "Uh did I say that out loud?"

I chuckled, "Thank you. I really like your eyes too. The blue eyes really pop against your blonde hair," I added. I could almost see a small blush forming across his cheeks when I heard a small "Thanks" from him.