~ Nanna knows best ~ PT.1

Start from the beginning

(DAMMIT PINTEREST!!! WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME WITH AESTHETICLY PLEASING FOOD!!!)

For a few moments they didn't say anything and blankly stared at their food. I assumed they were taken a back due to them not quite remembering why today was so special, so I gently rested my hand on their shoulder. That seemed to have broken them out of their trance because they finally looked at me.

"Sweetheart... I know things have been really difficult recently, but even so I still want you to have a great birthday. No matter how stressful, agitating, or overwhelming life if right now."

They did not respond. Only looked over at me and then their plate. After a few moments they thanked me and began to take a few bites. I smiled as I walked into the kitchen to clean the dishes to prepare for lunch, but not before giving them a reassuring pat on the shoulder.
Not even 5 minutes later they brought their plate into the kitchen and headed for the door. I followed them over and gave them a quick hug before they grabbed their keys and began making their way to their car.
As they road down the drive way I gave them a quick wave, which they returned. When they were out of view I made my way back into the kitchen to continue cleaning. I was just about to grab (Y/N)'s plate when I noticed something.

They had barely touched their food.

It looked almost the same as when I left the dining room to let them eat in peace since that was something they had asked for me to do when they had gotten everything settled here

°FLASHBACK°

It had been only a few days since they had arrived and I was explaining to them the rules of the house.
Clean up after yourself
No curfew. Just let me know before going out anywhere.
You can stay up along as you wish (while still getting a good amount of sleep) but simply no loud music or videos after 10pm
Whenever I go to the store if you need anything write it down and I'll grab it for you.
Normal things like that.
After the rules were set I had asked them for their rules.
When I asked them that they seemed confused.
"My rules?"
"That is what I said. Yes. Your rules"
"What do you mean by that?"
"A simpler way to say it would be what are your boundaries but I prefer to say rules."
"But..."
"But what? People have their boundaries and others have to respect it whether they like it or not."
"I... can't really think of much right now but... would it be ok if whenever I eat I could just eat... alone? I don't like eating in front of other people. It just... it makes me uncomfortable"
"That's completely fine. I'll give you your privacy. And if you ever come up with any new rules just let me know, ok?"
"Ok..."