Chapter 18

I woke up a week later completely healed. In the past week I have been stuck in the cage but Chase brought me to the pond at night where we hung out and did a little late night hunting together. My group stayed in the cage during that time.

Luke woke up next and everyone eventually woke up after him. We then huddled together and discussed how the ceremony would go.

"I think he would just have us prove our loyalty to him by hunting for him." Cali suggested.

"I agree with you." I said. Everyone murmured their approval. I heard someone coming so I stood up and walked to the bars next to the door. It was Chase.

"The ceremony is going to start soon. I was sent here to gaurd you." Chase greeted.

"Okay." I said. "We'll be together soon." I whispered.

"I know." He whispered back, smiling.

"I can't wait." I smiled.

"Me neither." Chase agreed.

"Everyone gather in the center for a meeting!" Coal called from the center of the clearing. Everyone came out of their tents and took their spots in a circle a couple feet away from Coal.

"Here we go." Chase breathed.

"Today the prisoners will be made full members of our group!" Coal announced. "Chase, bring them here." He added once the clearing died down.

"I love you." I whispered as Chase unlocked the door.

"I love you too." He acknowledged as he led my group and I to Coal.

"In order for you to become proper members of my group, you will need to prove your loyalty." Coal explained. "I will send you to separate parts of the woods and you will have to hunt. You will be watched by a senior member. If you bring back less than 5 pieces of prey, you will become a beta member. For an alpha rank, you will have to bring back 20 prey or more."

"When should they start?" A voice asked above the cheering.

"Now." Coal answered. "Zack, you will watch the lynx, Cody the hawk, Jason the squirrel, and Chase the wolf."

As he said their names, the four hybrids stepped forward. Zack was a light grey wolf with green eyes, Jason was a red wolf with blue eyes, and Cody was a light light grey wolf with hazel eyes.

"Once you found your hybrid, led them into the forest in different directions." Coal said to the senior members. The group then left the clearing.

Chase led me towards the pond. He then said that once he dismisses me, he would follow behind me and stay undetected.

"Don't look for me, concentrate on the hunt." He explained. "I will get you when your assessment has finished." He then dismissed me and I headed deeper into the woods on all four paws, following a squirrel trail.

I spotted the squirrel nibbling a nut at the base of a oak tree. I crouched lower and stalked forward, careful to stay silent and to keep the wind blowing my direction. When I was a foot away from the prey, I pounced. I landed on the squirrel and killed it by biting it's neck. I buried the squirrel at the base of the tree and continued the hunt.

After a couple minutes, I managed to kill two more squirrels, four birds, , and six mice. I picked up a deer trail and eagerly followed it. I spotted it in a clearing with two other deer. Once I made sure no one was near, I silently killed the deer one by one. They were all bucks. I hid the deer and kept on hunting.

Chase and I walked back to the clearing while the sun was setting with a total of 30 pieces of prey. We were on all fours because of the deer. We deposited the prey next to the other three piles and stood up. Coal counted the piles then called the group together again.

"Max the squirrel has caught 10 prey. He is a beta. Cali the Lynx caught 21 prey. Alpha. Luke the hawk caught 20 prey. Alpha." Coal announced. He hesitated at me. "Karly has caught a record of 30 pieces of prey, but sense the deer count for 4 prey, she has a total of 42 pieces of prey."

A huge cheering erupted from the crowd.

"Welcome to the group." Coal nodded, walking away.

I got surrounded by my new group members, getting congratulated for my record amount of prey caught.

"Come on. We need to do something." Chase whispered in my ear. I nodded and followed him to Coal's den. I had a feeling of why we were going there.

"Coal? It's Chase. Can I come in?" Chase asked.

"Yes. Come in." Coal answered.

"What is it?" Coal asked as we entered the tent. "Something wrong?"

"No no. Nothing's wrong." Chase replied, shaking his head.

"Then what is it?" Coal asked.

"I. We wanted to ask if you would let us be mates." He said.

Coal didn't seem surprised. "Of course. She will sleep in your tent then." He answered with a smile.

"Thanks Coal!" Chase called as we left the den.

Chase led me to his tent that was on the other side of Coal's. He was the second in command. His tent had two beds in the back, separated by a nightstand with a light on it. There was a chest at the foot of each bed.

"Your bed is on the left and mine is on the right." Chase said, pointing to my bed then his.

"What's in the chests?" I asked.

"A change of clothes. Coal said to put a pair of clothes for girls in the bed that I want using." Chase explained.

"That's smart." I exclaimed.

"I know! Well, night." Chase yawned, going to bed.

"Night." I said, going to bed too.