A Duet Together - Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

You - Me too. See u at 4:30, I'm at the agency rn so can't talk much.

Kaede Akamatsu - Oh okay, see u later! Gl at work. 👋

I smile but then my uncle asks if to do another case of a lost pet. I of course accept and quickly exited the office to get looking. 

After work, I said goodbye to uncle and started heading towards Akamatsu's house. It took extra long to find this pet, it was a really weird one. How was I supposed to find a snake? Well, I eventually did it but still. I finally arrived at her house and knock on her door and it opens immediately. "Hi Akamatsu!-"

I was greeted of seeing 2 adults staring directly at me. I assumed it were her parents but I was surprised how intensely they were looking at me. The woman had short blonde hair and had her hair over her shoulder while the man had brown hair and glasses, his eyes matched Akamatsu's.

"O-Oh uh!" I politely bow. "H-Hello Mr. and Mrs. Akamatsu! I'm Shuichi Saihara, a friend of your daughter. Sorry to intrude!"

I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope

Suddenly, her dad put his arms to his eyes and started sniffling as her mom closed her eyes and nodded quickly.

..Huh?

"K-Kaede chose such a young polite man.." her dad said through his tears.

"I know.. I was nervous he was going to be a punk because of that hat but.. You seem worthy for now, boy." her mom gave me a thumbs up.

I had a bewildered expression. I didn't even know how to react. Were Kaede's parents just a bunch of weirdos? N-Not in a disrespectful way, I mean.

Suddenly, Akamatsu came out from behind both of them and crossed her arms. "Mom, dad! What are you doing?"

"Ah, Kaede! We were just meeting your friend. He seems polite enough, so I've deduced he is worthy." she told her with a smile.

"Mom! I told you we were just friends! Don't weird him out like that.." she grabbed my hand and pulled me in. I blushed at our sudden physical contact.

"A-Ah!" I quickly took off my shoes before I went in, which was hard because one of my hands were taken by hers. 

She took me to the piano and sat me down. "Sorry about my parents Saihara.." She sighed and put her hand to her head like she was stressed.

I laughed. "Don't worry about it, they seem like fun parents."

"Yea, they are!" she quickly cheered up. Anyways, are you ready for your lesson today? Today, we'll be learning more beginner songs."

Her parents watched us in the background as we played. Her mother was really observing me which made me a bit uncomfortable while her dad was looking on his phone. I didn't see her grandma today, perhaps she was out somewhere. Whenever I messed up or had the wrong fingering, Akamatsu would tell me and reinforce the idea so I wouldn't mess up again. She was a good teacher. After learning a few more songs, Akamatsu looked at me happily. 

"You're improving really fast, Saihara. Maybe you'll be the Ultimate Pianist some day!" She laughed.

"U-Uh.. I don't think I could surpass you though.." 

"Do you think it's about time we start practicing our duet?" she said. Her classic starry eyes were back. She was excited for this I guess. "S-Sure!" She looked really happy which made me smile.