2. Chopin - Nocturnes No. 1 in B Major, Op. 32

Start from the beginning

There's a gentle knock on the door that connects my room to the one next door. "Ms. Aria? Are you alright?" I hear Mr. Carter's muffled voice through the door.

"I'm fine," I sigh and flop back onto the bed. "Can you find somewhere we can go tomorrow to fix a broken phone screen?"

-----

The drive to the mall is agonizingly slow. The snow stopped falling some time last night, but there's still so much snow on the roads. It's like a giant slip and slide, but for cars - and a lot less fun. A disorderly situation like this one would normally stress me out. A perpetually busy schedule means I'm always in a rush to go somewhere, and bad traffic throws everything off track. I find myself needing to continuously remind myself I'm on a break now. 

I scroll through my playlist and find something to play. I land on Chopin's Nocturnes No.1 in B Major, Op. 32. Chopin's work is always a safe bet when I want to decompress. I zone out and try to relax as the gentle notes float through the air. A minute or so passes before I jolt at the sound of my phone ringing, it's mom.

"Hey Mom."

"Hi Melody, just wanted to let you know I found you an apartment and I've emailed you all the info. You should be able to move in today." Based on her tone, you'd think she was talking to a client, rather than her daughter.

"That was quick." Although I suppose she's always quick when it comes to work.

"Oh my friend Arvin is a realtor there, he was very helpful." Sometimes I forget that she has connections with people from all sorts of fields, all over the world. "I found you somewhere to practice too! The apartment is a short drive from the University of Markham. They have an excellent music department with high quality instruments and lots of rehearsal spaces. I talked to the dean and he said you're welcome to use them when classes aren't in session."

I sigh a little. The relaxation didn't last long. "Thanks Mom."

-----

I hand my poor broken phone to the man over the counter. He puts on a pair of round reading glasses and analyzes the crack. "No problem, we should have this fixed up in an hour or so. That'll be one hundred and twenty dollars," he says. I cringe a bit, being clumsy is expensive sometimes. "For an extra twenty, I'll add a tempered glass screen protector."

"Yeah, sure," I sigh and take out my credit card. There goes half of my shopping budget for today. The apartment is already furnished, but I wanted to get some things to make it feel more homey. Things people on Pinterest would get, y'know?

We leave and begin looking for the nearest department store. The mall is quite busy, as to be expected on a Saturday afternoon. I don't even remember the last time I was in a mall. I need to remind myself to relax again and walk a bit slower than usual to take in my surroundings.

There are five levels, the tiled white floors are a light grey marble, most of the ceilings are glass - letting in plenty of natural light, and the architecture is very modern and elegant. Stores have giant signs taller than me to advertise their sales with mannequins in the most bizarre poses in the windows. Walking by stores selling bath and body products feels like walking through a condensed cloud of every scent that's ever existed - mashed into one. Most retail employees look tired and miserable with strained smiles plastered on.

"Well, would you look at that."

I turn to see what Mr. Carter is looking at. "Oh god," I grumble. 

On the back of one of the directory maps is an ad for my concerts from this week. The only compromise I was willing to make for the ads was a picture of my side profile while sitting at a piano. At the bottom is the information about the location, dates, and prices. 

I roll my eyes and quickly continue walking. "I hate seeing myself in ads." The marketing specialist mom hired insisted a picture of just my hands on the keys wouldn't be enough. Why hide that pretty face of yours? I was not a big fan of hers.

We enter a massive department store. Mr. Carter follows me around with a cart that I quickly begin to fill. Fuzzy throw blankets and pillows, adorable animal shaped succulent planters, scented candles, a clock shaped like an apple, and glittery coasters. It's blatantly obvious that this is my first time getting to decorate my own place. Nothing I've chosen matches, but I don't care.

"Mel! Is that you?" I hear a voice call excitedly. 

The both of us turn to see a girl with a bright smile quickly coming over. I feel my heartbeat suddenly quicken and Mr. Carter immediately takes a protective step in front of me. I carefully peer around his muscular arm to take a peek, the girl looks oddly familiar.

"Can I help you?" His tone is serious and deep - it's been seven years but it still intimidates me. The seamless switch from his soft, calm voice to his gruff, gravelly voice still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear it - even though I know I'm the one he's protecting.

The girl furrows her brows in confusion. "That's Melody Aria right? I'm Alyssa, her cousin."

"Oh my god Alyssa, I didn't recognize you!" I quickly step around Mr. Carter and give her a hug. She's still much taller than me, and her eyes are just as bright emerald green as I remember.

"Let's grab some food, we have to catch up." Without waiting for an answer, she links her arm around mine and starts walking. 

--------------------------------

A/N:

I don't blame Melody, I'd totally make a mess while trying to decorate my own place for the first time too haha. What's your decorating style like?

Thanks for reading! :)