“Nope, it’s just me.” I smile.

“Okay, what can I get you today?” she asks.

“May I just get a BLT and a coke?”

“Of course, I’ll have that right out.” She smiles as she writes it down.

As I wait for my lunch I check my email. I have a few stupid advertisement emails and then a new email from Detective Johnson.

Eva,

I looked into the suspicious activity on Jimmy’s bank statements… he is sending flowers, but they aren’t being sent to your home or work. I personally think he is covering his tracks and making sure that no one can track the flowers back to him. We both know how well he hides his tracks…

Now I don’t want to freak you out, but Jimmy is in NYC. He didn’t touch base with his parole officer last week, so they tacked his cell phone and they pinged his cell phone in NYC. I need you to lay low and have someone with you at all times. I have some friends at NYPD and they are currently looking for him. I’m leaving NC today and I’ll be in the city in a few hours. I’m going to find him Eva and I won’t let him hurt you this time.

I’ll call you when I get there, so we can meet up and talk. Do you still have the same number?

Detective Jake Johnson.

“Here you go.” The waitress startles me, by putting down my plate.

“Can I actually have this to go?” I ask her.

“Of course,” She smiles, takes my plate, and walks to the kitchen. I take a deep breath and send Jake a reply giving him my new phone number.

“Here you go sweetie.” She hands me a bag with my lunch, and to go cup with some coke.

“Thank you.” I pull out a twenty dollar bill and put it on the table.

“Keep the change.” I tell her.

“That’s a fourteen dollar tip.” Her eyes widen.

“I know.” I smile.

“Thank you.” She smiles back. I walk out of the diner, pull my phone out, and dial my dad’s cell phone, as I walk back to work.

“Hey, beautiful.” He answers cheerfully.

“Hey, I need to tell you something, but you can’t freak out.” I tell him.

“That makes me freak out.” He laughs nervously.

“Jake emailed me again—he can’t prove Jimmy sent the flowers, but he can prove that he is in the City.” I pause to take a deep breath.

“Jake has some friends here at the NYPD… So Jake and the NYPD are going to work together to find him.” My eyes start to well up as everything finally sets in. Jimmy is in NYC and he’s most likely stalking me again.

“Eva, I’m coming up there.” My dad states firmly.

“No, I’ll be fine. Niall and Jake will keep me safe, and he can’t get to me at work.” I try to convince him, even though I’m really convincing myself.

“I don’t like this Eva. I have a really bad feeling.” He sighs.

“I’ll be safe. I have my pepper spray and stun gun with me at all times.” I assure him.

“We both know that won’t stop him.” Dad reminds me.

“I know dad, but I can’t hide away in my apartment… he sent flowers there.”