"I'm going to go get something to drink, can I get you anything?"

Mr Knight just gave a quick glance in my direction before shaking his head.

His attention was again fully focused on the man who was animatedly discussing some or other event that they just had.

I walked over to the bar area and ordered a virgin mojito. I considered for a moment to order a glass of wine, but the thought of Mr Knight's disapproving face and the possibility of getting even a little bit tipsy made me change my mind.

"Fancy meeting you here." Came the British accent of George as he slid in next to me at the bar.

"Imagine that," I said with a smile.

"What're you having?" He asked as he started indicating towards the bartender.

"Oh, already ordered," I answered.

"Very well, I'll have a martini." He said the last part to the bartender, who proceeded to make our drinks.

"How very James Bond of you," I said as I leaned against the bar, facing him.

"Didn't you know? All British men secretly aspire to be James Bond." He said smiling, his eyes twinkling in amusement.

I threw my head back and laughed.

"Touché."

Our drinks arrived and I turned with mine in hand to look at the room.

"Everything came together quite nicely don't you think?" I remarked as I gestured towards the room which was now quickly filling up with more guests.

Dining tables were all around a large dance floor. Appetizer tables were placed off to the sides of the room, with servers also walking in between the guests with trays. A large chandelier was hanging from the ceiling and air was circulating through the large room through the open doors leading out to the balcony.

"Yes, everything looks great. William has always been able to put together quite extravagant events." George remarked, his shoulders tense all of a sudden.

His words sounded disgruntled as if he would do anything but talk about Mr Knight, even though he was the one who brought him up.

George was no longer looking at me but rather staring at Mr Knight who was still standing at the other side of the room mingling.

I knew it was probably a bad idea, but this was my chance. I had to know their history, even if it's not the full story.

"What's with you and Mr Knight anyway?" 

I realized I didn't call him William as he asked. Oh well, it's not like he can hear me now. 

"What do you mean?" He asked, his eyes once again on mine.

I raised an eyebrow at him, showing him that I wasn't falling for his crap.

He chuckled before answering.

"I don't know, I don't really feel comfortable bad-mouthing someone I'm in business with. And besides, it all happened ages ago."

My respect for him grew. Most other people wouldn't hesitate to bad-mouth another if it would put themselves in a better light. His reply wouldn't do however, I tried pushing it a bit more as subtly as I could.

"That's very admirable of you. Could you at least give me a fragment of the story? Maybe I'd be able to handle business meetings better in the future if I knew what was going on. I didn't quite appreciate being reprimanded for my behaviour during that meeting without knowing all of the details."

George thought for a moment.

"And Mr Knight didn't want to fill you in?" He took a sip from his drink as he pondered what I said.

"No, he didn't."

I wanted to add that we got into a huge argument about the whole thing, but thought it better to leave that part out.

"Well, if it will help you... William and I used to be business partners."

I looked up at George surprised.

"I heard that you worked together but I certainly didn't know you were business partners," I said as his words were still processing in my head.

What on earth could make two people who were close enough to go into business together part ways?

"Yes, you may very well be surprised. This was about five years ago though. We worked well together, but as the company grew it started going to William's head. He became cocky, made risky business decisions. Until one day, we were working on a project together and we had a difference in opinion. The company was in his name, so he had the final say. When everything blew up in his face and the company lost millions, he put all the blame on me."

I gasped. 

"Please tell me you're joking."

I knew Mr Knight could be cold and cocky, but this seemed extreme. Yet, not completely unbelievable.

"I wish I was." He looked at the drink in his hand, eyebrows scrunched together. "He ended up working me out of his company and word quickly spread about my reckless behaviour costing the company millions. Thereafter, no one wanted to do business with me, until now when Mr Clarke gave me a chance."

My head was spinning.

It was all so unfair. How could Mr Knight reduce George from a partner all the way down to the bottom of the business food chain? And for something he didn't even do...

My admiration grew for George. He was the better man. Tenfold.

After all he's been through, he didn't even come forward with what Mr Knight had done to him.

George's eyes shifted to the side of my head.

"Speaking of, excuse me Elizabeth, but I think it's time for me to start making my rounds. But, make sure to save a dance for me later." He said, the twinkle returning in his eyes.

"Of course." I smiled back at him with added warmth. 

He disappeared into the crowd.

I was still deep in thought, new questions racing through my mind along with many unsettling thoughts about Mr Knight.

I could feel his presence behind me before he said anything.

"Elizabeth." Mr Knight said in a clipped tone.

Shit.