•I Do•

I knew Jack was going to get her, but seeing her climb out of the truck made my legs feel like jello

I knew Jack was going to get her, but seeing her climb out of the truck made my legs feel like jello. I'd always heard the expression 'weak at the knees', but seeing her... I really thought I might have to kneel down and wait.

She was the most beautiful I'd ever seen her look. She looked like herself, and for that, I was grateful. We had thrown this wedding together in every sense of the word, but she hadn't lost herself. She still looked like my Beautiful.  She was wearing a white dress that flowed in the breeze around her legs, and the flowers around her head looked like home to me. I'd seen those blooms a thousand times, and each time they had meant I was going to see her.

I was watching her, ignoring the urge in my body to run to her right then, when she mouthed the words 'I love you'. I grinned and mouthed them back.

I couldn't believe this was it. She was walking now, her right arm wound through Jack's left. I had waited on this day for years... I still couldn't place the exact moment when I knew, but I had known long before I'd acknowledged it. She was everything all at once... my entire life's dream rolled into a beautiful girl.

I thought of the night I had asked Verne if I could marry her... even then, I had no idea when exactly I would ask. I bought the ring nonetheless, though, and knew that one day she would wear it on her left hand.

I thought of all the moments I had fallen more in love with her... all the moments I had looked at her breathless and overwhelmed with love.  I thought of her at fifteen, her shoulders pink from fishing all day with me. I thought of her at seventeen, wearing that purple dress that I thought would unravel me... of the night I held her for the first time. I thought of her eighteen, reckless and fearless and full of life.

I was still watching her, transfixed by every step. Jack looked emotional, and his face held an emotion I couldn't place. When he reached the spot in front of me with her at his side, I raised my hands to my face, rubbing it quickly to try to contain the emotions I was feeling.

"Who gives this woman away?" the preacher standing in front of me asked.  I had been focused on Beau too much to hear the welcoming words.

"I do," Jack said, turning to hug her. She gave him a tight hug in return before turning to face me.

Out of instinct, I reached out to touch her, immediately taking her hands in mine. "Hey, Beautiful," I whispered, to which she replied, "Hey, Colt" in a soft voice. 

Some of the words were a blur, and she seemed just as antsy as I was to say our vows.  I couldn't take my eyes off her. I loved her with every cell in my body. My body buzzed in anticipation, ready to call her my wife.

"Beau, you may now give your vows," the preacher said, smiling gently at her. 

She and I had decided weeks ago to let our vows be spontaneous on this day—we wanted to say what was on our heart rather than write something and erase it over and over.

When she spoke, I felt myself melt even more. My legs—especially in their newly strengthened state—would assuredly give out underneath me.

"Colton," she started, tears welling in her eyes, "I promise to always love you fiercely, and to never be afraid of letting myself fall harder or faster for you.  You are my best friend. You are my life."

At this, she cried, tears streaming from her eyes, "And you give me a love I never thought I would find. Meeting you in this field all those years ago was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I will be there every morning when you wake up. I will love you through every moment of our lives. I will grow old with you. I will be by your side through every up and down, and I will always be your home."

Tears fell from my own eyes now, and in a past life, I would have been embarrassed to cry in front of so many people. Now, though, all I cared about was her.

"Now, Colton—" the preacher said, but I started before he finished.

"Beautiful," I said, pausing to take a deep, shaky, breath. "You are my life. The day I met you, I was too young to know how much I would love you later, but I think even the field got quiet and still to witness it. The world stopped spinning and then started again when I met you.  Missing you was one of the hardest things I've ever done... and loving you has been so effortless that it happened just like breathing.  I promise to always love you just like that.  I promise to always be yours, Beautiful, yours. I promise to love you more every day for the rest of our lives. I promise to hold you every night—especially when it thunders and shakes the house—and to never let you wonder again what you mean to me."

"Well," said the preacher, looking out to the wedding guests before looking back to us. "Do you, Beau Lorraine, take Colton Andrew to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do," Beau said, looking at me with a look of hopeful excitement.

"Do you, Colton Andrew, take Beau Lorraine to be your lawfully wedded wife?" he continued.

"Absolutely," I answered, squeezing her hands.

We didn't have wedding bands yet—we hadn't wanted to wait on them to come in before the ceremony.  I waited, my breath caught in my throat, until he said, "Colton, you may now kiss your bride."

Our friends and the rest of the town clapped wildly.  Jack let out a cheer and punched the air like he was gaining something, too. Anna wiped at her eyes. 

I, in the midst of the celebration, placed my hands on the sides of Beau's face and pulled her to me. I kissed her deeply, smiling into it as she wrapped her arms around me. Her kiss was salty from the tears, and she didn't seem to want to let me go.

When we finally broke apart, I spun her around to face everyone, held up her hand, and yelled out, "Ladies and gentleman—Mrs. Beau Lorraine Cain!"  Again, applause and cheers erupted.

We turned inward at the same moment, as if captured by the same thought, and kissed briefly once more.

"Thank you," she whispered as we began our walk back down the aisle. 

"For?" I asked, holding her hand as we walked.

"For giving me another chance... for letting me back in... for giving the way it used to be a chance," she answered.

"Mrs. Caine," I teased playfully, "I was never not in love with you. It never stopped being that way."

And with that promise, I pulled her toward a table little with candles and decorated with flowers and lace tablecloths. Our reception began, and our life together continued.