𝐋𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐌𝐲 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐓𝐰𝐨

The girl had made her way home, relieved to notice that her father's car wasn't parked in the drive

The girl had made her way home, relieved to notice that her father's car wasn't parked in the drive. He most likely wouldn't be home for another hour or two. She was shaking, anticipating what was coming for her once he made his way home so she occupied herself with anything she could think to do. She drank, smoked the last of her weed, watched TV, and listened to music. It was a desperate attempt to kill the three hours she had. Today could very well be her last day at home before she was cast out onto the streets. She berated herself for not preparing better for what was coming.

drinking, smoking the last of her weed, watching TV, listening to music. It killed the three hours she had left to herself before the blow. She knew that today could very much be her last at home before she was booted to the streets. She was stupid, not preparing herself properly for what was to come.

Everything played out as she had anticipated. She didn't even have time to gather her belongings before she was kicked out and after a brutal beating, left with nothing and no means to survive on her own. She knew she had one last card to play, something that was bound to happen sooner or later. So, as expected, she made her way to John B's, praying that JJ wouldn't be there. Deep down, she knew he would be, and the thought of him in the spare room with another girl filled her with a sickening jealousy, as if she wouldn't do the same..

It was only 11 pm, so everyone would still be awake, and soon enough, Amy was just meters away from the porch. She decided to give John B a call, so she wouldn't have to go hunting for a key. The lounge lights were off, indicating that he wasn't there to see her.

She was already sobbing before he picked up the phone, and hearing JJ's voice on the other end made her cry more. "I called John B, not you," she choked out, her voice trembling.

"What's going on? Why are you crying?" JJ asked, genuinely concerned. Amy sniffled, figuring she might as well just tell him.

"I'm outside. Could you please let me in?" she muttered before hanging up.

As Amy stepped into the light of the porch, JJ could see what his ears had already told him. Her shoulders were slumped, her ponytail was ragged, with loose hair falling over her contorted features. She wore only socks on her feet, and her eyes looked empty, as if she felt nothing at all. JJ set down the phone and, with only a fraction of a second of hesitation, he ran over to her. She crumpled in his arms, silently sobbing. "Hey, hey, it's okay," he shushed, comforting her as he helped her up and into the chateau, where John B was watching over the two of them.

"Amy! Jesus, what happened?" John B asked the question that both boys had been wondering as they crouched down next to her on the couch.

"You know exactly how my father would respond to me losing another paycheck, let alone the job entirely," Amy replied, her voice heavy. John B nodded along with JJ.

"Can I please just stay here tonight? I'll try to find somewhere else, but just for tonight-" Amy began.

"I'm not going to let what happened between you and JJ ruin our friendship. Stay as long as you want," John B assured her.

"But he's going to be here!" Amy hissed back, her concern evident.

"I'm literally standing right here, stop speaking like I'm not here!" JJ interrupted.

Both John B and Amy ignored JJ's comment and continued to talk. "You're like a sister to me, Amy. I can't just watch you fall apart," John B said earnestly.

"Yeah, take the pullout. I'll take the spare room," JJ snapped, and John B glared at him.

"JJ, are you serious?" John B questioned, but JJ's features softened as he watched Amy's face fall at his raised voice. He let out a sigh and slowly guided her into his chest.

"Sorry," he mumbled, leading her to the spare bedroom. He lay her down gently, but his touch seemed to intensify her sobs as she turned her body away from him, facing the blank walls.

"JJ?"

"What."

"I'm sorry." She choked out, turning to face him.

The boy just shut his eyes, clenching his jaw to hold back tears. "I know."

"Please stay. Just one more night." She whispered. It had been too long since she'd felt his warmth, had his arms comfortingly wrapped around her as she slept. The exhaustion in her eyes was evident, as she had spent weeks without a proper night's sleep. JJ was the same. He missed holding her and as Amy asked him to stay he had the unbearable urge to say yes.

"You know I can't do that, Ames. I can't," he whispered reluctantly before leaving her alone in the room.

His words stung, and as she attempted to speak, all that came out was a choked sob. He walked away, leaving her once more. And every time just hurt more and more. As he shut the door, tears pricked in his eyes. He wanted to stay so bad. To lay next to her, to wrap his arms around her comfortingly. He would do anything to have that feeling again, but looking at her brought up so much hurt. So much anger. Too much anger. Raising his voice at her felt too much like his father, which was the last thing he wanted.