Chapter 25: Years without you

Comenzar desde el principio

Damon had called him several times, asking for favors, apparently there are sirens in Mystic Falls now. "What Damon?" Kai said impatiently picking up the phone, "hey buddy, I need your help, we can't get rid of the sirens in here," Damon's voice came from the other side of line. Kai thought he was dreaming for a second there, or maybe it was the alcohol that damaged his brain, "sirens? Not interested, call me when there are mermaids in Mystic Falls." Then he hung up.

Later on Damon being Damon, he kept calling Kai, finally Kai picked up again, "I said I'm not interested, which part do you not understand?" Kai spat at the phone, "ok, I get that you're grieving, but I need you to help me find a way to kill them," Damon said, Kai rolled his eyes, "go ask Olivia, stop calling me." He turned off his phone this time.

Helping them out with some cannibal girls who are swimming all the time is the last thing he wanna do, later on that night, he had a dream about her. She looks the same as when she was alive, they were in a shopping mall, walking and laughing but suddenly another guy took her away from him, he starts chasing the guy but he was slow and weak, then the next second they were in a cell, she was tied up to a chair in front of him, Kai couldn't move at all, then this guy who took her showed up, it looks like the guy couldn't see him, they act like Kai is invisible now.

Evalynn starts crying and screaming in fear as she saw the guy coming towards her, but the guy didn't flinch at all, he kept torturing her, it's like the more pain she is in the happier he is, Kai could even see the fire burning in his eyes, it's terrifying. He tried to save her a several times, but he couldn't move or he moved but when he touched her, his hand went right through her, he couldn't really touch anything. Then suddenly he woke up.

Kai groans and checked the time, "5:30, really," he mumbles and felt a tear sliding down his face, he is wearing one of her favorite shirt, it's a AC/DC shirt that he had, but she used to wear it all the time, it still smells like her. Kai tried to clear his mind and go back to sleep, but the image of her screaming and the guy with fire burning in his eyes keeps haunting him, he got up and went for a walk in the park.

A few hours later Liv calls him, "hey, I just had the weirdest dream ever, it felt so real and not real at the same time," Kai's heart skipped a beat as he heard what did his sister just say, "I'm listening," he asks her to continue, Liv explained to him what happened to her last night in details, apparently she had the exact same dream with Kai, "this is odd, do you think maybe she wasn't dead dead?" Kai asks her.

"I don't know, but we've tried everything, even Bonnie couldn't bring her back," Liv said hesitantly, "yea, but I will try it again tonight, then I'lll call you." Kai said, "ok, I will search for more today," then Liv hung up the phone.

Kai sighed, he doesn't know where she is, or where her soul is, normally if you call out to someone's soul after they are dead, they will show some ways of response, but when they tried to call out to her soul, there wasn't any response at all, not even the tiniest ones, like making a noise, or blow a candle. "Where are you, I miss you," he mumbles then he feels his eyes are getting filled up by his tears.

Later that night, he tried to call out to her soul again, but the same as before, nothing. Kai flipped the table and kicked the candles away from him as he starts yelling, "fuck, why don't you wanna talk to me? Do you just hate me this much, what did I ever do to you huh?" He felt his tears oozing out of his eyes uncontrollably, "why? Evalynn Aurinda, why are you doing this to me?" He cries like a helpless baby.

His phone starts ringing again, "what?" He tried to sound calm because it was Liv who called him, "are you alright?" Liv asks him after hearing his raspy voice, "yea, have you found anything?" He said impatiently, "no unfortunately, guess you didn't find anything either." Liv said disappointedly, "yea," he whispered. Liv cleared her throat, "don't worry, we will find something, sooner or later." She tried to cheer him up a bit, but the truth is she doesn't even know can they find anything at all, "don't give me hope sis," Kai scoffs, "sorry." That's all she said before she hung up.

Kai sits in a corner by the wall, he starts sobbing again, he has never missed someone this much, it's like his heart has been torn apart, he never thought grieving can brings you physical pain, even to a heretic, but he has to keep everything under control, 'what if one day she comes back and I became a ripper,' this is his only hope to keep him away from falling off the deep end.

A day feels like 10 years without her by his side, Kai tried to live like a normal person, get a job, or go traveling, but he just couldn't do it, everything is boring to him now, nothing, no one seems interested enough or worthy enough for him to move on. 'I love you,' she said it before she died, it rings in his head every night even when he can't remember her voice that well, everything is getting more and more blurry as the time goes by, no matter how hard he tried to hold onto that.

Months has been passed, he feels less depressed and grieved now, but he still feels the heaviness in his chest every single day, she appears in his dreams less frequent now. Kai would call her just to listen to her voicemails, and look at her photos every night, it all became a habit of him, he kept all of her belongings and took them to Portland with him, sometimes he would even go through them and fell asleep next to them.

People say time can heal everything, but surely they are lying, how much time is it gonna take for him to heal from this, an eternity doesn't even sound enough, maybe there is something that even time couldn't heal.