Three: The school life of Izuku Midoriya

tw's:
bullying, neglect & abuse

The moment Izuku opened his eyes he knew it was doomed to be a bad day, it was raining and his mother was awake.

Inko went out the night before and had presumably just got back. It was only half past six in the morning so that was highly probable.

One changed, he walked into the kitchen to grab some cereal quickly before rushing off, but of course that didn't quite go to plan.

Izuku had come to the conclusion that his neighbors must either be deaf or didn't care enough about the constant screaming coming from his apartment to report it. Maybe the walls were just thick, but even then Inko was loud enough to be heard. His neighbors knew of his quirklessness, most of them having lived there when Izuku got his diagnosis at age five, so maybe they were just functioning members of the prejudiced society that quirks and heroes had created, leaving them to sit by and let it happen.

Maybe they had reported it, and the landlord brushed it off as he was also someone who knew of Izuku's condition. Actually, maybe not. Based on the glares he got as he left for school most days he assumed they'd look past it. Even just to add to his misery.

When a child drops a mug, the normal and rational thing to do would be to clean it up and make sure they're not injured. Inko, however, was not a normal nor rational mother.

"I'm sorry, I'm cleaning it now!" Izuku rushed to the cupboard to grab some towels so he could pick up the glass without cutting his hands up. He'd attempted to pick shards up with his bare hands before and it had not gone well.

"You can't do anything right, can you?" Inko sneered at her son, shoving him on to the floor from behind, "It's no wonder Hisashi left, I could've gone with him, you know? Could've had a great life in America, to completely start again and not live with the shame of having a useless son. But no, I decided to stay with you. Worst mistake of my life."

Izuku didn't reply, having learnt from a young age that talking back would only make things worse. He knew it was his fault, he shouldn't have dropped the mug, but it still wasn't pleasant being yelled at. His mum deserved a good son, one that had a decent quirk and could genuinely have a good life.

"I've done so much for you, but you've never appreciated it, hm? Ungrateful brat, it's thanks to
you that none of my work colleagues want to talk to me,"

The tea towel he picked up was old and falling apart, but it'd do.

"Do you not love me, Izuku? I've only ever done what's best for you, I have tried my hardest to be the best mother for you but you only ever shove it back in my face!" Inko glared down, and Izuku dared to look up. He faced her and went to stand up, only to be shoved back to the floor, hand just missing the shards on the floor.

She was mad, really mad. "I love you, Mama," It was childish, sure, but Izuku still clung to the childish hope that maybe one day she'd say it back.

She never did, but that was okay. Izuku knew didn't deserve that.

Once the glass was picked up from the kitchen floor, Inko left the room without another word. Izuku didn't dare getting another mug out for water, instead deciding he'd just drink out the tap in the bathroom when he brushed his teeth.

He heard his mother slam her bedroom door shut, and took that as a que to carry on getting ready.

Getting his daily routine out the way, Izuku headed off to school. It was peaceful and quiet, which was probably why it was Izukus favourite part of the day. He had always enjoyed the quietness of being alone and not bothering anyone. He always set off early, so he could avoid all his classmates before homeroom and hide in the toilets. It was nice, even on the coldest and rainiest days, so Izuku never took it for granted.