Chapter 2

Lin cursed.

I looked up from my book. It hadn't been there the night before, along with a baggie of candy, so I was starting to suspect that somehow it had gained magical properties. If only it had been given a sturdier frame. "What's wrong?" I asked with more than a little interest. If Lin spoke, something was probably up.

"Some kid entering the old schoolhouse." He hesitated. "Keep an eye on the screen for me. I'll go check what she wants."

More like terrify the living daylights out of her. I wouldn't want to be the poor kid when he finds her. I waited until she strode off before dragging myself over to the open back doors and plopped down where he'd been sitting. Sure enough, a girl in a school uniform was pulling open the door. It hadn't been too clear through the window, but now that the door was opened I could see a brunette pixie cut and anxious yet curious brown eyes. I had seen that somewhere...

Mai...

I scrambled for the earpiece under my hijab and flicked it on. "Oy, Lin!" I began, but my jaw dropped as I noticed a little bundle of wires next to me. He hadn't been wearing it...

Static. "Where's Lin?" Naru demanded.

"He went to the old schoolhouse—some student is sneaking around there." I said once I found my voice. "Look, he's going to get injured because of her. You need to get there as soon as possible."

"I'm going." Static, then silence.

I kept my eyes on glued to the screen. A bell rang in the distance. The girl stepped forward, eyes wide with wonder as reached out to touch it. "Huh. That's strange. I don't think someone could've forgotten it here..."

This, I decided, was impossibly cool and weird at the same time.

"Who's there?" Lin barked from somewhere off-camera.

The girl jerked away and scrambled backwards, stammering anxiously. "Oops! Sorry, I was just..." I closed my eyes as she bumped into a shelf. There was a yelp, a crash, then nothing. When I opened my eyes again, the screen was blank.

I sat back in the trunk, careful not to lean my back against the monitors. I waited about an hour or so before Naru strode back alone. "It was a bad sprain and a decent cut on his face." He said as a greeting. "Won't be able to stand for a few days, so I'm stuck with you. What do you suggest?"

"Give me a sec. Um..." I sifted through my mind. The answer came a few minutes later. "Right. Hire her as compensation for the camera and Lin's injury."

"The camera has insurance."

I shrugged. "She doesn't know that. Do you want the help or not?"

I'd scored a point. He nodded decisively. "Fine. I'll ask her when we go to meet those girls today." He said, taking up the laptop and headphones. "I hope you've prepared a story."

"I did, actually. 'Once upon a time, I was walking along when I was stopped by a kid named Kazuya Shibuya. He blackmailed me into working with him and forced me to tell scary stories.'" I glanced to see if I'd annoyed him, but of course he'd gone and slipped on the headphones the second I started talking. Stinker.

Hours passed, and nothing happened. Naru occasionally got up to eat and I did my best estimating prayer times based on the sun and the time. It felt like an eternity had passed before he stood, closing his laptop screen. "It's time." He gave my red and blue striped crop-hoodie a derisive glance, adding, "I've changed my mind. Please wait outside the old schoolhouse."

So maybe he had heard my story. He pointedly tucked the van's keys into his briefcase. Like I could've used them—I'd never driven before and I'd never learned. Still, he looked so smug that I decided I'd humor him this one time. I grimaced dejectedly, staring up at the clouds until he left before trotting off in the direction he'd indicated.