chapter twelve

☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

CHAPTER TWELVE - the devil within

The only sounds were the whistle of the wind and the crash of the waves against the grind of wooden boats. As the Iron Born had begun their climb, Deema had been forced to stay to watch the boats, together with a skinny and tall man named Len, who was sitting a few boats over.

She'd watched them climb the dangerously high wall, almost holding her breath. There was so much that could go wrong; if one person had noticed, they'd all fallen to their deaths. That hadn't happened, and the little group, armed to the teeth, had made its way inside.

It had been many minutes since they had left the boats behind, and Deema was growing restless. They were in enemy territory, one wrong or miscalculated move and it would be over. She knew Yara was a good fighter, but if the Boltons truly were as evil as they were portrayed to be, she would be walking in for a worse fate than death.

That was something she refused to think about, though. She shook her head each time the thought slipped in. Her hand was dipped in the water; the sea was calm, which would be a blessing if they needed to get away fast.

The building before them, Dreadfort, she'd been told, was big and bulky and looked more clumsy than intimidating. It was near water, only a short grind beach away from the waves, so most of the back was windowless. The whole thing looked rather lifeless, as if the only thing that lived there was the memory of what it could have been.

While she'd never really warmed up to Pyke, which always seemed to be cold, it had had its own charm, where Dreadfort just seemed to be a pile of rocks. She couldn't help but wonder what the insides looked like. As thoughts about how the bedrooms were decorated slipped into her mind, she realized she was doing everything she could to not think about what might be happening in there.

She leaned over the edge of her boat, splashing some water on her face when there was finally some movement. Some noise. Her head shot up to the top, seeing shadows running. The sound of dogs not too far away.

She held her breath as she saw the first body fling itself over the edge and latch onto the rope, sliding down easily and fast. There was a sound of a struggle, and a horn was blown. In just a moment, the whole fort seemed to come alive with yells and metal and fire and orders.

No more people were coming down the ropes, but on top of the fort, a line of guards had formed, lit arrows in their bows. "Come one, come on," she hissed to herself, hopping out of the boat to push it further into the water before moving to the next one.

The first wave of flaming arrows fell from the sky. Deema ducked into the water, but the arrows were not yet reaching her. She saw people fall down on the ground, some being pulled up again, moving slower.