Chapter 3 - Trail

KEY
Normal text - narrating
Italicized - thoughts or emphasized
Bold - Extra dramatics, important things.
"Quotation-marked" - talking
"Bold quotation-marked" - Tailed Beast talking through host
"Bold quotation-marked italicized" - Tailed Beast talking to host
Other - other

-

Gaara carefully made his way back to Yashamaru's house. Sure, he wasn't a sensor type ninja but maybe he could still track down his uncle? Depends on whether or not Yashamaru was trying to hide his tracks. Whether or not he would do that could have different answers. One was he did conceal his trail so people wouldn't be able to follow him. A lot of people are anti-Rasa and the council after all. But then, it wouldn't make much sense for people to follow him because everyone knows the Kazekage and the Council are mostly in the Kazekage office. Which meant Yashamaru may not have hid his trail.

It doesn't matter now, Gaara thought. Now I just have to find his trail. If I can't find him I'll just go straight to the Kazekage building.

"You're an idiot." Shukaku muttered. "You forgot something. BUT I'm not going to tell you so HA!" Oh so now Shukaku decided to talk. But not useful enough. Sure, knowing he was still missing something important was bad... but knowing what it was would be better.

What? Gaara asked.

When the bijuu didn't answer, Gaara assumed that Shukaku was being annoying and decided to figure it out himself. Meanwhile, Gaara wondered again if he should just tell someone. But maybe not, because it might be a bit of a mess if someone else, say a council member somehow found out. The council would probably tell Rasa and a big chain of not good events might happen.

So he decided to focus on his surroundings.

He looked at the streets of Sunagakure he was walking in. It was on the outer edge of the village, and mostly contained of more poor civilian people and not shinobi. Which was one of the bad places Gaara was kept in. If Shukaku broke out, it would take a bit for the people in the center of Sunagakure to get here. Meaning more will be possibly killed. But it was also less likely for that since normal shinobi wouldn't be able to stop Shukaku anyways. 

The streets had a lot people, but most of them knew about the jinchuriki, thus leaving some space for Gaara to walk in alone. To be perfectly honest, Gaara preferred to be squashed by the crowd than walk alone as a sense of loneliness would always find its way to him when he was left along. Well, at least this wasn't one of those days that people just... screamed when they saw him. Some of the civilians would probably scream even if he just breathed. 

The air was filled with small specks of sand not because of Gaara, but because it was still in the middle of a desert. It was still pretty hot here, in which Naruto would probably complain about even though it was pretty normal for Suna citizens. It was burning outside of the Sand Village. But then, during nighttime, the temperature can drop very low to freezing. Maybe that was the reason the deserts of Kaze no Kuni's temperature never dropped much, it was balanced by the freezing cold of the night.

Not too long after, he came to Yashamaru's house. Which then he realized the thing he forgot. If Yashamaru was able to save the kids playing with the ball, then he might not have headed to see Rasa yet. But since Gaara was already here, he decided to hide and wait until Yashamaru heads out. But what if Yashamaru had been following him? Then it would be stupid to go back to the house. Yashamaru was an Suna ANBU before he died, meaning he would be good at hiding.

He slowly opened the door of the house and peeked inside. No one was there. Gaara paused wondering what he should do. If Yashamaru was really following him, he should go inside to do something to not raise suspicion. After all, Yashamaru still had to report unusual behavior to Rasa at this point. So he carefully stepped inside and ran towards his old room to grab his teddy bear just to run back outside a few seconds later. 

Even though Gaara knew Yashamaru had already left, he still needed to know whether or not his uncle had been following him or has really gone to meet up with Rasa. He could sense a faint trail of Yashamaru's chakra leading towards the center of Sunagakure. Since Gaara wasn't a sensory ninja, it was really going to be difficult to follow the trail.

At least I can try

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘦𝘥