#2: ditching is a thrill

Start from the beginning

-x-

"I don't think your friends liked me very much." Luke commented as he shoved his hands in his pocket and walked with me to our next class—the dreaded Math.

"Probably not." I agreed, opening the door and stepping inside what I secretly called Hell. Math was not my forte.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be all sweet and say 'Of course they like you, Luke! What's not to like?'" Luke pitched his voice at my part.

"Yeah, you're right. What's not to like?" I said sarcastically.

I sat down in my usual seat, but was surprised when Luke plopped his stuff next to mine. I gave him a curious stare. I know I agreed to help him show his emotions but I didn't think he'd be so willing to hang around me.

"Sarcasm is an easy way to hurt someone." Luke snickered, reaching over and flicking my cheek. "You should learn to use it, beautiful."

I rolled my eyes. "I know how to use sarcasm, obviously, as I just did."

Luke seemed to find my statement amusing, because I could feel his shoulders silently jostling against mine. He was obviously trying to keep in his laughter. I shot him a blank stare, to which he returned with an innocent smile.

"You don't use it often. You're too nice. You have a quick wit, Arizona, and you should let people see it more." Luke nudged my shoulder. "Live a little." His hot breath fanned against the shell of my ear before he chuckled quietly.

I jolted upright, earning another low chuckle from him. He was trying to get a reaction out of me, I thought bitterly as I stared at the blackboard in front of me.

"Why would I want to hurt someone?" I asked quietly, writing down the notes Mrs. Cheshire started to jot down on the board.

"Not necessarily hurt someone," Luke seemed thoughtful, "but it'd show others that you're not a push-over."

"You're right. I should use sarcasm all the time because then I'll be just like you, which is my plan in life." I drawled.

Luke's lips quirked into a smile. "You're a quick study."

I looked at him with a confused expression before I realised the tone I had taken on was on the slightly most sarcastic side. "Damn it."

"That's my girl." Luke said with a cheerful grin. "Next step will be getting you to swear."

I rolled my eyes and decided not to respond to his delusions. I hadn't even agreed to this. If I remember correctly, I told him I'd teach him how to be good. However, I didn't sign up for these 'bad girl' lessons he seemed so willing to give me.

"Why did you stop me from explaining things to my friends?" I asked suddenly, remembering what had happened at lunch when Katherine inquired about Luke sitting with us.