Chapter Eleven: The Battle

Start from the beginning

He was imitating you. Playfully shoving him, you let out a chuckle. "Maybe I am."

The way your smile slowly dropped when you remembered what was about to occur didn't go unnoticed by him. You hadn't realized how close you stood to each other. Each time you found yourselves standing this near, your heart accelerated and stomach fluttered uncontrollably. This time was no different.

When he brought his hand and placed it on the back of your neck, you found yourself frozen in place without any idea of what he was doing. But then he pulled you in closer to him, until your foreheads gently touched and you realized what this was. While you didn't know much about Mandalorian culture, you heard about these forehead touches, you had forgotten the name of them. This was his way of comforting you.

And it worked wonderfully.

The cold of his beskar helmet felt amazing against your skin; cool and soothing, letting you know everything was gonna be alright. You closed your eyes for a moment, allowing yourself this moment of serenity as you placed a hand on the cuirass on his chest. You found yourself lost for this short amount of time, like everything around your froze and it was only you and Din. The way his thumb swiped back and forth in comforting circles on your neck calmed you, and you let a soft smile escape your lips.

When you opened your eyes, you pulled away. "Go," you kept your smile, assuring him you were going to be alright. He nodded, turning to Cara and beckoning her to follow him. For a split second, you caught her eye and she smirked at you before heading off into the woods alongside Din.

You observed them from afar for as long as you could, until they were no longer in your sight. With a reluctant sigh, you turned to face the villagers, examining each and every one of them to make sure everything was perfect. The villagers seemed ready to fire and fight; those who were shooting were located at the very front of the barricades with their guns locked and loaded. You couldn't help but notice the look of fear and concern on their faces as they waited restlessly behind the barricades.

"Come on, guys, lighten up!" you commented, attempting to brighten the mood along with a chuckle. "We've prepared you the best we can for this. I'm sure everything will turn out fine."

An explosion in the distance filled your ears, causing your head to whip back and catch sight of the smoke rising up into the night sky. A pit in your stomach developed at realizing Din and Cara were likely fighting the raiders right about now; pretty soon they should return along with the AT-ST trailing behind them.

Instantly, you take action and make your way towards the villagers, crouching down behind one of the barricades. You remained alert, watching intently for any signs of Din and Cara returning. Once shooting was in hearing range, you knew they succeeded in waking the walker. Though unfortunately, as much as you attempted to look for them, the fog blocked your view and you were unable to spot anything that was too distant. All you could do was hope that neither of them had gotten hurt during the shootout.

Once the firing began getting closer, you readied your own blaster in your hand, aiming out towards the foggy trees. Just as you did, Din and Cara emerged from the fog, the sounds of machinery and stomping following closely. You sigh a great breath of relief at realizing they were alright, and once Din placed himself beside you as he knelt down behind the barricades, you placed a hand on his pauldron. "You alright?"

His visor met with your gaze for a moment, and he nodded in response.

"This is it! Cara shouted from where she crouched next to some villagers, "Once that thing steps into the pond, it's going down. Weapons ready!"

Din prepared his pulse rifle next to you, while the thudding grew louder and closer with each passing second. After a moment of anticipation, you caught sight of a pair of red eyes appear from the trees enveloped in fog. As it trampled over the many plants in its way, you were glad to perceive how close it was getting to the hole meant for it to collapse into.