Chapter Twenty Four - Family Reunion

"Stop jittering. You're making me nervous."

"I can't help it, we haven't seen our friends in two years."

"Ah ah," Bucky whispered back, giving her a pointed look. "Your friends. I can only claim Steve."

August continued bouncing on her toes, watching the quinjet lower out of the sky. Tentatively, Bucky reached behind her head, tucking her tight fishtail braid into her collar.

"Hey-" August reached back, moving to untuck the braid, but he gently pushed her hand away.

"Grab-able objects, Aug. You don't want to get flung around out there by your hair, do you?"

He ran a flat hand over her hair, before tucking her in and giving her a kiss on the temple. The quinjet was landing now, King T'Challa and his Dora Milaje moving to greet the newcomers.

"C'mon," He stepped after them. "Lets go say hi."

She slipped his hands into his, the two of them walking towards the quinjet, thinking to herself excitedly.

When all of this is over, you're going to make the best father.

The ramp to the jet lowered, and over the bald heads of the Dora, she could just barely make out the Avengers disembarking. First Natasha and Steve, followed by Sam, Rhodes, and an unfamiliar tan man, with Wanda and Vision bringing up the rear.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something-" Steve clasped T'Challas hand.

Behind Steve, the unfamiliar man awkwardly bowed. T'Challa frowned, shaking his hands at the man.

"We, ah, we do not do that here." The king looked back to Steve. "So how big of an assault should we expect?"

"Uh, sir, sir," The man stepped in front of Steve, who gave him a look. "I think you should expect quite a big assault."

"How we looking?" Natasha asked, tilting her head upwards to stare the king in the eye. His jaw locked.

"You will have my Kingsguard. The border tribe, the Dora Milaje, and..." He cast an expectant look behind him. His gaze met Augusts and she shot forward, dragging Bucky along with her.

She slammed into Sam, wrapping him in a bear-hug. He gasped in surprise, but upon seeing her familiar black eyes, embraced her in response, picking her up and twirling her around.

"And a semi-stable, elderly assassin married couple." Bucky mused as he smiled at his wife, happily reuniting with her best friend.

Bucky wrapped Steve in a hug, the two men patting each other on the back.

"How you been, Buck?" Steve asked, stepping back and taking Buckys hand in his. Bucky shrugged, his wife bouncing around between the group, excitedly greeting Natasha and Wanda.

"Married and boring now. Not too shabby, for the end of the world." He looked over Steves shoulder, eyeing his wife. "You gonna come say hi?"

August scurried over to the two men, wrapping her arms around Steves torso. He hugged her back, giving her a grin.

"There's my favorite little nuclear warhead." He pulled away from her. She moved to Buckys side, taking his hand. "You up for this?"

She shrugged, unable to push the grin from her face.

"Something tells me that what I can do might be of more use on the battlefield rather than watering a tomato garden."

"Hey, you make good tomatoes." Bucky reassured. She smiled, waving him off, turning back to Steve.