Chapter Twenty One - Completely

August had left the gala early.

Outside her stone home, the downpour marred the night sky, keeping her from being able to see much of anything across the clearing. She could vaguely see the fire flickering inside Bucky's hut, but that was it- no stars to pine for, no open air to breath in. Just the voracious storm and August's own thoughts.

How dare he. How dare he. She sat just inside her room, her bare feet occasionally getting splashed as water dropped out of the sky and onto her balcony. Her arms were wrapped around her knees, pulled close to her chest, dark eyes still staring out into the stormy night. How dare he drop a bomb on me like this.

It's not fair. None of it. He shouldn't have told me. I wish he hadn't told me.

Overhead, thunder crashed, briefly lighting up their clearing. For just a second she could make out his silhouette on the bed in his hut.

Twenty five years. I've lost twenty five years of my life, and now I'm trapped in a foreign country with only him for company. First he wanted nothing to do with me, and now this? This bipolar, erratic thought out of the blue? How dare he flip flop on me like this?

August's chest rose and fell quickly, the fabric of her gown tightening as she breathed.

That selfish, arrogant, narcissistic-

Lightning slashed the sky, lighting up the field once more. Outside, as the roll of thunder followed, August heard a high-pitched squeal.

Her heart dropped. Not again.

Standing up, she bolted out of her bedroom and down the stairs, tearing open the front door. In her adjacent pond sat a soaking wet, shivering pig, just barely illuminated by the light inside her home.

"Missy!" She yelled, squinting to make out the pigs figure in the low light. "Go home!"

Lightning lit the clearing once more, illuminating the pigs terrified eyes at it stared back at her. Her eyes traveled downwards, seeing the pigs hoof stuck in the soft mud of the pond.

Huffing with annoyance, she stomped over to the pig, the skirts of her fine gown dragging in the mud. August flicked her wrist, gently pushing the pond water to the side, and knelt down. She pulled the pigs hoof out of the hole, the pig backing away from the pond.

"Shoo!" She gestured at the pig. "Congrats, you made me ruin my dress. Now go home!"

The pig whimpered, still staring at her with scared, empty eyes. She rubbed her face, pushing her wet curls away from her eyes. Sighing, August began to march towards Bucky's hut, flicking her wrist to gather the pig up with wind and carry it her with her.

They maneuvered around the large earthen wall, August dropping the pig in the pen and closing the gate.

Again, lightning lit the clearing as she turned, and as she saw Bucky's silhouette watching her from his doorway, she nearly jumped straight out of her skin.

August nearly turned and stormed off, but shook her head as she instead marched over to him. She stopped less than a foot away from him, the rain beating down on her back.

They stared at each other in the darkness. Augusts chest rose and fell quickly, her hands balled into fists at her side, her lip curled as she stared at him. Bucky was completely still, his face unreadable. In the back of her head, she noticed that he had lost his suit jacket at some point, leaving him only in a white button-down and his suit pants.

"Thank you-"

"How dare you," August cut him off. "You bi-polar, selfish, arrogant, asshole."