Chapter Nineteen - Audience with Royalty

The armored cars rolled into their clearing in the early afternoon, smoothly gliding over the grassy terrain. Two total- one pulled up in front of August's house, the other stopping adjacent to Bucky's pond.

Weeks had gone by since the pig incident, and he had noticeably kept better track of the pink creatures. August had taken to letting wind-men wander around her house unchecked, just for the purpose of not feeling so alone.

She frowned from her balcony as the car pulled to a stop in front of her house, sliding over the bannister and hopping down to the ground. The door opened, and a bald woman wielding a spear stepped out.

"Ms. Haze," The woman bowed her head in greeting. "I am Anume. His majesty sent me to deliver this to you."

She held out her hand, and August tentatively accepted the sealed, decorated envelope. She snapped off the wax seal, the paper crinkling.

"His majesty is holding a gala tonight in celebration of the Queen-Mothers fiftieth birthday. He has asked me to extend the invitation."

"I thought we were his dirty little secret?" August chuckled, bemused. Anume gave her a shy smile back.

"The King keeps no secrets from his people. The gala is domestic, invite-only. There is no chance of the secret of your whereabouts getting out to the rest of the world."

August examined the invite.

SUMMER ELIZA HAZE,

Friend of The King and his family,

You are cordially invited to the celebration

Of Queen-Mother Ramonda's Fiftieth Birthday.

Black Tie

7:00

Augusts smile faltered.

"I'm honored, but," She folded the invitation. "I have nothing but old shirts and pants and sneakers. I would not want to insult the Queen-Mother by ignoring the dress code."

Anume's eyes twinkled. She reached into the passenger seat, producing a white box, tied with a black bow.

"The Queen-Mother thought of that. She had this designed, said something about staying true to your color schemes?" Seeing August's stare of delight as she accepted the box, Anume laughed. "The car will be here for the two of you at 6:30 sharp."

August frowned, looking up.

"The two of us?"

"Of course." Anume grinned at her as she slid into the passenger seat. The driver started the car and she grabbed the handle. "We would not want you arriving at the Kings gala without a date, would we?"

August gulped, painting a smile on her face.

He'll just have to suck it up for a few hours.

She waved the car off, turning back into her house and checking the clock. It was already pushing three- meaning that if she wanted to look at all presentable for the gala, she had to get to work.

Running up the stairs, she pulled off her clothes as she went, leaving a trail behind her of shorts, her t-shirt, bra, and underwear. She gently placed the box on her bed before heading into the bathroom, using her abilities to force her bathtub to fill quickly with steaming water.

August scrubbed the dirt and mud from her feet, her legs, her hands. She deep-conditioned her hair. Shaved her legs, her armpits, and pampered her skin with a rose-scented soap that she had specially requested from last weeks delivery. After scrubbing her face, she hopped out, draining the bath and wrapping herself in a towel.