Never Accept Advice from Dev

Start from the beginning

Me approaching her for help was new though, so I could tell she was treading carefully.

"I think so." I started, unsure of what else to say. I didn't want to trouble her with it if she didn't want to hear it.

"Okay." she smiled, and I felt a little bit better. I wanted to talk to my mom, not Dr. Patel.

"Francesca wanted to meet with us, and she told us that he would be going to France for four months. He knew and he didn't tell me, and I felt so embarrassed!" I took a deep breath, trying not to get worked up.

"That awful woman pushed my buttons, and I've hardly ever spoken to her." mom tutted, shaking her head in frustration. Seeing that my mom was on my side, I gained more confidence.

"And I don't know why, but I got so angry with Logan, he didn't even do something that bad, but I felt so angry. I even called a cab home, I didn't want to be in the same car!" the more I told someone else about my story, the more frustrated I became with myself. What was wrong with me?

"You don't sound very angry at him now." she observed, and I traced the grains in the wood to avoid looking at her.

"I'm... not. I don't know, I'm hurt that he didn't tell me about such a big thing, but at the same time it doesn't bother me so much. But I still feel so upset, angry, embarrassed, so many bad things!" I groaned, rubbing my temple. I didn't like this part, the bad part. I liked the whole 'Im about to shit daisies and dance around the room farting rainbows' part of the relationship.

"It sounds like you're scared." she said softly "From my experience with you, sweetheart, I know you don't like to put yourself out there. You assume the worst so you're not let down, and finally you let someone in, Logan, and he did something you think betrayed your trust."

"But-" I tried to interrupt, not liking what I was hearing. But she silenced me with a steely glare.

"Not to mention this is your first relationship, a really complicated one considering who you're dating, and you don't know how to react. He's going to France, and you aren't quite sure how to react. That's natural, honey." she put a warm hand over mine, while I mulled over her words in my head.

Pretty much everything she said made sense, and that bothered me. She was a lot more attentive as a mother than I was as a daughter.

"You make yourself independent, but slowly you let him in, slowly you fell in love with him, and now that something threatens to take him away, you're terrified." she finally summed up her thoughts, and I nodded my head in understanding, that was true, too. I was very independent, I didn't like to rely on other people for too many things.

"You're also crazy violent sometimes, and a woman, so you don't like to back down or admit that you may actually be wrong." Devon added from his spot in the doorway, and I turned to glare at him.

"What is your place in this, Dev?" I hissed, my fists balling up. I was, in fact, a very physical person, one who didn't like being told I was wrong.

"Logan called me up in a panic, sure you were going to break up with him. I told him to stop freaking out and that I'd talk to you. He wasn't too happy about that." Dev grinned evilly, and for the first time I could see how we shared similar personality traits.

"So what exactly do you plan on doing?" I raised an eyebrow challengingly.

"Well I was going to start with this." he then promptly chucked a book at my head.

I don't know if its a common thing in families to throw large, somewhat dangerous objects at one another, but Devon does it way too often for me to act surprised when he does it the next time.